Chapter 15 : A glimpse into the bad boy's heart

Chapter 15 : A glimpse into the bad boy’s heart

Park Tae Chan

My heart was still pounding and I wanted to cry.

It was all his fault. I stared daggers at the perpetrator and didn’t regret my earlier outburst one bit. He deserved it.

Jung Kook sat on the bottom of a playground slide behind my apartment building with a scowl and crossed arms. His tongue darted out to the scratch on his lips and he winced at the contact. I maintained my stance a few feet away, determined to not feel sorry.

A few more minutes of silence and he stood up frustrated. “Why are you so violent?” he exclaimed.

“Me? Violent?” I arched my brows at him. “Coming from Chonseol High’s terror machine, I’d say that was a bit shameless…”

“So I’m guessing you’re not the least bit sorry…”

“For scratching you because I was caught off guard? Why should I? I’m not to blame…” I shot back.

“Couldn’t you have just screamed or something? What’s with the attack? Who were you expecting anyway?” he complained and sat back down in a huff.

I turned my back to him and inhaled deeply. It wouldn’t do to tell him that for a moment there, I had thought it was Kang Jun in the shadows. The feeling of elation was quickly replaced with confusion when it turned out to be Jung Kook.

I didn’t want to admit that part of me still wanted to see Kang Jun despite the fact that his betrayal cut at my heart each time I thought of him. If Jung Kook knew how I felt, he was probably going to chide me for being dumb – I felt dumb.

A hard nudge to my shoulder caused me to stumble and I glared at Jung Kook. He eyed me coldly and sneered. “I can’t believe it. Were you actually expecting him??”

Ah crap. Was I that transparent?

I lifted my chin and replied defiantly. “So what if I was? What is it to you?”

“Can you be any dumber?? The dude cheated on you for god’s sake. Why are you still waiting for him?”

“Yes, I know he cheated – thanks for reminding me, again – and for your info, I am not waiting for him!” I hissed in anger.

“You portray yourself as someone who is strong and above all this crap – yet here you are moping about for a loser…have you no pride?”

Damn. I knew he was going to be irritated, but was the biting remark really necessary?

“I am NOT moping about.”

Jung Kook gave me a ‘yeah right’ look and I bristled. Who did he think he was anyway??

“It’s not easy to just forget someone you care about ok? I know he cheated and I should hate him…but I can’t just simply move on in a snap. Me and Kang Jun…we had a history together. Getting over him is going to take time,”

“I can’t force myself to just go about like everything is fine – I can act like I’m fine but there is a limit. And I sure as hell do not need you to remind and taunt me at every turn. Especially since you don’t even know what’s it like!”

Jung Kook clenched his jaw and anger flared in his eyes. “Don’t talk as if you know me. You don’t know anything about me.”

“You know what? You’re right. You hide yourself behind a big enough wall so that no one can get through to you. Even if someone cared enough…they can’t even get close to wall to break it – since you put up a pretty good defence in the form of a bad boy.”