Chapter 40 : A dangerous encounter

Jeon Jung Kook

*3 hours before the call*

I leaned back against the seat of the bus with a small smile. This has got to be the first time where I wasn't filled with a heavy weight in my chest as my destination to the memorial neared. Though the guilt was still there, it wasn't as suffocating as before.

I guess I have Tae Chan to thank for that. She made me feel more alive than I had in years. She made me want to believe that maybe I wasn't such a bad guy after all; that despite my shortcomings, I was still entitled to love and happiness. I only had one fear...my smile faded at the thought. She still didn't know the full story.

In fact, no one knew the full story. If they knew... I shook my head, not ready to face the thought.

My phone buzzed in my pocket, signaling an incoming call and breaking me from my thoughts. I checked the caller ID and released a sigh. Looks like Tae Chan has finally found her phone and decided to check up on me. I contemplated whether to answer or not, since I didn't want to go through the hassle of explaining to her where I was going.

I answered on the third ring. "Yah, Park Tae Chan... You can't even survive a few hours without me? I told you I have somewhere to go - " I broke off at the eerie silence that greeted me. "Hello?" Silence; then an abrupt end to the call.

What was that about? I frowned at the strange call. Was there a problem with her phone? I redialed and was met with the voicemail this time. "What the..." I muttered under my breath and was about to call Taehyung to check when I glanced up and realized that I had almost missed my stop point.

I pressed the buzzer and hurried out amidst the annoyed frown that the driver shot me with. Sheesh, what was his problem? I thought as I headed on autopilot towards the hillside intersection. It was starting to drizzle lightly by now, so I decided to proceed with my visit before making another call out again.

I placed my single bud of rose onto the tiled bottom of the boulder; already crowded with various bouquet of flowers from previous visitors. "Omma..." I whispered. "I'm sorry... " my breath caught in my throat as parts of my memories besieged me without warning.

"Jeon Jung Kook! Don't you dare - "

"Stop the car. I'm leaving."

"We can't stop here. It's dangerous. Please let's talk about this. Listen to omma - "

"STOP THE CAR."

If only I hadn't been so stubborn, I thought with regret. It was all my fault...

My phone chose that moment to ring again and I answered in annoyance without checking the caller ID. "What?"

A low chuckle sounded over the line. "Jung Kook-ah...remember me?"

My heart pounded at the familiar voice and I glanced at my phone screen in panic. Tae Chan's name flashed on the screen and I realized with dread that somehow, Minjae had gotten to her.

*** ***

He said he'd be waiting. So where the hell was he?? I ran deeper inside the empty mall, turning this way and that way, frantically redialing Tae Chan's number each time it went to voicemail. What game was Minjae playing now? How was I to find her in this large space?

I stopped and my hand hovered on the call button to Taehyung. Minjae made it clear not to call anyone or he would hurt Tae Chan. What was I supposed to do? I whirled around on the spot, my eyes scanning the dilapidated stores in the mall for signs of movement.