Chapter 18 : An ex should stay an ex

Park Tae Chan

A truce with Jung Kook…

What a refreshing feeling.

I smiled to myself as I excited the classroom and headed for the school gates. Despite the stares and hushed whispering, I didn’t feel the least bit bothered.

Why? Because I had a truce with Jung Kook…it was the closest thing to having him as a friend and I was happy enough with that.

I just hoped this lasted for more than a day. Knowing Jung Kook and his temper, he might just abruptly call the whole thing off. Just like the whole slave, tutor thing.

Humming to myself, I skipped the rest of the way out of school only to get hindered by a growing crowd of giggling girls.

Hmmm…the only logical explanation would be either one of Chonseol High’s famous hot stuff was present; hence the commotion.

My heart skipped a beat and I wondered if Jung Kook was the reason why all the girls were making a fuss…I felt hesitant to meet him after we agreed on our truce.

Even today, each time we passed each other in the hallway, he would act nonchalant…yet still managed to give me a small nod of acknowledgement – making me blush endlessly.

What was the matter with me? I was reacting like some lovesick fool.

“Who is he?”

“Isn’t he cute?”

I shook my head to clear my thoughts and perked up my ears to hear the conversation around me. It seems that the commotion this time was not because of Jung Kook or Tae hyung, or Jimin and Sejoon either.

“What is he doing here?”

“Wonder which school he goes to?”

At times like this, I detested my petite height. Even by tiptoeing and stretching my neck, I was unable to even catch a glimpse of the object of the girl’s attention.

Shrugging with indifference, I moved away from the crowd and edged my way out of school. Who cares about the hot stranger they were all talking about. I had better things to occupy my mind with anyway.

Excited squeals sounded behind me and I presumed it was probably because the guy was on the move and they were trailing his every step.

Despite the burning curiosity I felt to see the stranger, I willed myself to keep walking and not end up like one of those squealing girls. That is…until he called my name.

With that voice.

That voice I knew so well.

“Tae Chan-ah…” he repeated.

Tears automatically welled up in my eyes and I grabbed my chest to calm my constricting heart. No way. What was he doing here? What –

I stopped abruptly as he approached me from behind and placed a hand gingerly on my shoulder to turn me around.

“Tae Chan –“ his voice broke with emotion, causing me to finally glance up at him.

“K-kang Jun…”

Jeon Jung Kook

I should’ve moved faster.

If I did, I would’ve been able to intercept their meeting.

Instead, I was left to stand dejectedly in the corner while that good for nothing dude approached Tae Chan and spoke to her.