Chapter 41 : Questioning the past

Jeon Jung Kook

"...walking out with that bandaged head. You can't discharge on your own."

"Watch me."

"You could collapse any minute. Look at you hanging on to that IV drip stand as though your life depended on it."

"Shut up... Whose fault is it that I'm in this predicament in the first place??"

"Shhhh. There's no need to shout. And how is it my fault? You came on your own accord."

I slowly opened my eyes, unable to sleep any longer. The arguing pair was really distracting. How dare they come into my room and disrupt my sleep – wait, this wasn't my room. My eyes shot open at the unfamiliar surrounding. It was dim, the lights on low, but I could make out the signature starchy feel of the hospital linens and blanket covering me. The smell of antiseptic was also a dead giveaway.

I was in the hospital...but how? I moved to sit up and grimaced from the pain. Oh, right. I remember now. I must have finally passed out after getting away from Minjae. My thoughts were still in a blur though. I found it hard trying to recall the whole incident.

"You woke him up."

"Me? It was you!"

"Are you kidding me? It was the sound of you struggling around like a cornered cat that woke him up."

"Did you just call me a – "

I squinted and tried to make out the other occupants of the room. They seemed to have taken their argument to the physical level. "What the hell is going on?" light flooded the room and I blinked to adjust my eyes to the sudden brightness. Taehyung eyed the fighting pair with an unamused expression.

"Don't look at me! Ask this idiot here who suddenly attacked me!" Sungjae muttered grumpily.

I was wide awake now. What was Sungjae doing here?! Confused, I took in his bruised eye and arm in a cast. What happened? I searched my memory for clues but everything was still hazy. Why couldn't I remember?

"Shut up." I realized then that the 'cornered cat' was none other than Sejoon. Whoa – he looked worse for wear. His face was pale and drawn, and his head bandaged heavily. "Just shut up." Sejoon muttered and leaned weakly against the bed frame. Taehyung rushed to his side and helped him back into bed. "I don't need help."

"Uhuh." Taehyung merely responded before glancing over my side for the first time. "Yah, Jeon Jung Kook! You're finally awake!"

"Hyung..." I croaked out and winced. My throat hurt. Flashes of memory of being strangled accosted me so suddenly, I had to take a deep breath to remind myself I was able to breathe.

"Here. Drink some water." Taehyung poured water from the flask and helped me into a sitting position to drink. I gulped down the water gratefully at first but slowed when I noticed the intense look of – was that concern? - by both Sungjae and Sejoon. It was disconcerting.

"Hyung..." I began when I was strong enough to speak. "Why am I in the same room with THEM??"

*** ***

I sat in silence, disapproval evident on my face. Sungjae and Sejoon didn't look entirely pleased either. In fact, we were currently having a three way glaring contest.

This was all Jin hyung's doing. He planned it in such a way that all three of us got stuck in the same room. Limited space available, it seems. I know a lie when I see one. This was obviously his way of getting us to work out our difference. If he thought that this bad blood would settle by confining us in a space together, then he thought wrong.