Chapter 5 : Losing the game

Jeon Jung Kook

“Yah, Jung Kook! What are you doing?” Tae hyung threw a wad of paper at me, disturbing me from my thoughts.

“Probably thinking about her.” Jimin teased.

“I wasn’t!” I protested hotly.

“About who? What did I miss??” Yoongi asked as he approached us while twirling a basketball on his finger. I gave a start as I glanced at him. He looked more intimidating than usual today all decked in black from his shirt to his skinny jeans. The only thing with a hint of colour was probably his sneakers and his cap turned backwards.

“Oh?” Tae hyung straightened. “Hyung, you’re here!”

Yoongi grinned and bounced the ball over to Tae hyung who randomly hit it with his head instead of catching it, only to realise his error belatedly as he exclaimed from the pain.

Giving Tae hyung a weary look, Yoongi sat on the bench beside me and playfully punched my shoulder. “So who is it?”

“No one!” I insisted again but only caused Jimin to snort rudely.

“You better tell me now before the rest comes…” Yoongi drawled out in that ‘cool’ tone of his.

I sighed and avoided the question by running after the bouncing ball and started dribbling with it. Tae hyung, who was playing with it did not appear impress and tried stealing the ball back from me.

“Ohhh…it’s a girl isn’t it??” Yoongi gave a whoop and I shot death glares at Jimin for secretly telling him. During this time, Tae hyung managed to successfully steal away the ball and ran away chuckling in happiness.

I took a threatening step forward to the laughing hyung’s when I heard Tae hyung shouting a greeting. Yoongi and Jimin sobered up and brushed past me to exchange high fives with the newcomers.

“Jung Kook-ah…don’t you know how to greet your hyung’s?” a deep voice boomed out.

I took a deep breath and waited for them to pounce on me – which they always did, without fail.

“Eiii – our little Jung Kookie has grown so much! He looks so smart in his school uniform!” an exuberant Hoseok said as he tried to mess with my hair.

I moved back only to bump into Namjoon who seemed intent on strangling me by grabbing me in a chokehold.

“We. Just. Saw. Each. Other. A. Month. Ago!” I cried out in between choking breaths.

“Ok kids, that’s enough. Let the little one breathe.” Jin stepped into the foray and rescued me – well, not really since he pinched my cheeks painfully before releasing me.

“Come on guys, cut it out. I think I’m old enough to be greeted normally without getting bruised up.” I complained in a bitter tone.

Everyone stared at me in silence before breaking out in laughter.

“Ha-ha. I wasn’t kidding.” I said, unamused.

Hoseok clutched his sides and stumbled towards me. “In our eyes you will always be our little maknae.”

I shrugged him off and peeked at my watch. “Fine. Laugh as much as you want. I’m leaving.”

“Wait – wait…we’re coming too.” Jin said as he bit his lips to keep from laughing and focused on ushering everyone to make a move.

*** ***

We stood along the hillside intersection and took turns to place flowers on the man-made boulder which was erected in memory of those who had passed.