Longing to Stay

Bilbo looked like he was about to fall over.
"Bilbo are you alright?" I nudged his shoulder.
And he did fall over and with a loud thump.

"Oh dear," Gandalf said as he rolled his eyes.

Bilbo had passed out and so we laid him on the couch, and covered him. I saw his cheeks were flushed red.

"He'll be alright right?" I asked Gandalf.
"Yes yes he will," he said as he looked behind him, at Bilbo on the couch.

"So these books of yours, they are of us?" Gandalf asked.

"Yes they are, I'm quite fond of them," I said with a shy smile.

"Oh really? So does that mean you're fond of adventures?" He asked with his eyebrows raised and small smile.

"I guess so!" I said.

"Have you acquired any?" He asked me.

"I suppose not. Well, does this count as an adventure?" I asked, and Bilbo let out a loud snore.

"Not exactly," Gandalf said as he turned to hear Bilbo's loud snore.

I couldn't even think of anything good to talk about with the wizard, my brain was twisted in knots, my stomach has never stopped turning.

"Bilbo and I." Gandalf started before he roughly cleared his throat.
"We must leave as soon as possible." He said.

Leave? I forgot that Bilbo did have to go, and I felt a cloud of disappointment float over my head.

"You looked rather sad when I said that," he said. How did he even notice my slight emotion, barely expressed on my face. Well, he is a wizard.

"Um no, I mean, yeah. I mean no. I mean," I took a deep breath.

"I guess I'll miss Bilbo's company," I said while playing with my fingers to distract myself.

"This is probably the most amazing thing that's happened in my life ya know," I said.

Gandalf nodded in agreement.

"I guess maybe I'm afraid that when you leave that I'll wake up in bed and it was all just a dream," I admit. It was the truth.

"I think if you leave, I will be convinced that I just imagined this," I added.

"I like you Miss. YN, you have a keen sense of wonder, and I myself, sense something else. Something that I cannot find the words for. But you shall not worry, because this is not a dream. You've got that to prove it," Gandalf said and pointed to my necklace that Bilbo gave me.

"How did you know-"

"That Bilbo gave it to you? Well I'd recognize a Stat of Elendil anywhere," he said with a smile.

Now that Gandalf pointed out that this was a Star of Elendil, it felt even more precious.

"I was reading the book aloud," I started.

"The day that Bilbo arrived," I said.

"I don't believe that has any part in this," Gandalf said. So I have no significance to the magic? It felt like a dart went into my chest, I thought I was a piece to the puzzle, but I guess not.

"Oh well, then never mind," I said.

"It is unarguable that we have to get back, the realm that is open right now is pulsing, opening and closing, and I fear that it will close for good soon," he said.

"Ah I see, then Bilbo better wake up soon!" I said and went back to my thoughts, preparing myself for their descent.