Being Watched

"It's only been a day, and I feel like I have been here forever," I said.

"Is that a bad thing?" Bilbo asked.

"No it means I feel at home," I say as I smile to myself.

The day felt so blissful, just this moment was packed with pure joy. Living inside of my favorite book, being present with my favorite characters, it felt like I was a character in the story. And Bilbo was what I expected to be, but at the same time he wasn't. What I mean is that, I didn't think we would be friends, and this is the first time in a long time, where I feel important. I am growing fond of myself more and more, and even more so I am growing fond of him.

"I'm glad you are here too," Bilbo said as he looked up at me.

I smiled at him, but there was something else in the distance that caught my eye. Amongst the saturated green and yellows of Hobbiton, was a black cloaked figure. On horseback, he or it stood there, as if he was watching us, and wasn't until this moment where I noticed him. Was he there before?

I had a confused and grimacing look on my face as I looked in the distance, and Bilbo was quick to notice.

"What are you looking at?" He said and quickly turned his head to see.

It nearly a blink, he was not there, he had disappeared, like a magic act.

"The trees?" Bilbo asked, but I was to puzzled to answer right away.

He shifted when I didn't respond, and had a concerned tone in his voice.

"A butterfly? Come one, don't make me guess," he said.

"It was nothing, I think I just imagined something," I said.

"Oh well, do you want to pack up and go home?" He asked as he gathered the things and put them into the basket.

"That sounds good," I said.

oOoOo

The sun wasn't as high as it was hours ago, not quite a sunset yet, but it was getting there.

We walked back, and Bilbo told me funny stories about the dwarves, stories that I haven't read about.

I was holding the blanket and he held the basket.

"This was a nice day, thank you," I said.

"It was my pleasure," he said.

"To be honest I don't do things like this usually, I like to keep to myself," he said as he lifted his eyebrows.

"Me too, I don't have many friends. I always find myself writing or reading a book," I said.

"I guess that's why I love writing so much, because what I don't have, or what adventures I don't have, I'll write one myself. Same for reading," I added.

"Still warming up to adventure," Bilbo said.

"Really? Even after all-"

"Yes. Even more so now," he said.

We strolled through the neighborhood, hardly anyone was out of their house.

It caught my eye again, the black cloaked person, he was closer this time, just outside of the village, watching us. Preying on us, is what it felt like. I suddenly felt a pulse of fear, and oddly a pulse of excitement.

And it hit me. I know what it is. My skin was chilled, my face tightened, and hands shook the slightest bit.

It was only fear now, because I knew the story, I read the books. It was a black rider.

I decided to discretely tell Bilbo.

"Bilbo come here," I needed him closer, and I needed to make a decision fast, so I grabbed his arm into mine.

He was surprised, and smiled down at me. I was too concerned to smile back.

"We are being watched, do not look around, focus on me," I say under my breath, it grabbed his attention.

"What? By who, why can't I look," Bilbo said. I saw his head begin to turn and I pinched his arm.

"Ouch!" He said loudly.

I glanced over without moving my head, and saw that the Black Rider was no longer there. Now I'm not sure to be relieved or more scared of his absence.

"I'm sorry, but we need to get to your house quickly," I said.

"I'm sorry," I apologized for my pinching, and rubbed the area where I pinched him, gently with my thumb as we hurried to his house.