[Chapter 10]

Chapter 10

For a moment, Veronica had no idea what to do. She rushed out the door without fixing herself up, and practically flew her car to the hospital. She called Dr. Portman who was her dad’s doctor.

“Hold on, Dad… Please hold on… Oh God, please not now.” She closed her eyes and prayed.

Veronica kept herself from crying. She needed to be tough for her father. She tried calling Matt but he wasn’t picking up.

When she got to the hospital, Mr. Sandoval was in the emergency room.

“Sorry, Ma’am, but you’re not authorized to come in,” the nurse told her when she attempted to go in.

“I just need to see him. Please... I’m begging you... I just need to talk to my Dad.” She was on the edge of crying now.

“I’m really sorry, Ma’am but-”

Suddenly, the door opened.

“It’s okay, I got this,” the man said. It was Mr. Portman. “It will do you better to stay here and wait, Veronica.”

Veronica grabbed his arms and shook it. “How’s Dad?”

“His condition is critical but he’s fighting.”

Her tears bursted out. “Please do everything to save him. Please, Doc.”

“We will do our best. But we need your consent, Veronica. We are going to perform a heart bypass operation for your Dad as soon as possible.”

She exhaled then bit her lip. “What are our chances, Doc?” her eyes were sore from crying.

“50-50.” He replied. Veronica’s knees felt week.

“The chapel is on the second floor,” the nurse said, looking sympathetic.

Don’t leave me, Dad. Please…she whispered before going to the chapel.

There were a few people quietly praying. She saw their maid. Immediately, she hugged Veronica and wiped away her tears. Veronica has never felt so scared in her life.

“Stay strong, Nica.” Nelly whispered. “You need to be strong for your dad. Even though you’re worried, just trust God.”

“I won’t be able to handle it,” she felt like her heart was being crushed. “Nelly, I can’t live without him,” she said in between sobs.

“Sssh… let’s pray.”

Veronica stared at the floor while waiting outside the operating room. She couldn’t believe what Nelly had told her. Nelly had gone home to pack her dad some clothes so she was left alone.

She couldn’t accept the reason of her dad’s cardiac arrest. How could Matt do this? How could he risk taking her father’s life? How could he tell her Dad about the real stage of their marriage? Why the hell did he give her dad their pre-nuptial agreement?

“Veronica…”

She looked up. It was Elaiza. Her eyes and nose were red.

Veronica promised herself not to cry. But this was too much. She buried her face in Elaiza’s neck and sobbed softly.

●●●

“When are you going to solve this, Matt?” Bianca’s tone was calm but frustrated.

Matt looked at her and drew a slow breath.

“I’m working on it.”

“That’s what you told me a month ago. And nothing happened. We need to tell your Dad about this.”