[Chapter 8]

Chapter 8

Matt has waited for almost an hour now. But they had plenty of time. The party starts at six. He didn’t want to go but he had to support his sister. It was the first time that Elaiza has accepted responsibility. And besides he had many business deals to propose to their partners. It will be good for Veronica to meet the circle.

But he preferred staying at home with his wife. He didn’t know he’d be thankful of his sister’s visit. He felt less and less guilty seeing Veronica smiling, even if it was pretend. And she kissed him back. She always did. The chemistry was there, he couldn’t avoid it.

Matt glanced at his watch.

“We’re done!” Frenzy squealed. “Oh, so, so beautiful!”

He sat up when he heard the stilettos. He stopped breathing for a few seconds when he saw Veronica. He didn’t know how many minutes he stared at her. Veronica stood a few feet away from him, looking at him and waiting for a response.

“Is it okay?” she asked. He gulped.

“You look–” he smiled at the gay and the other two girls. “Good work, guys!” he stood up and chuckled.

“You mean girls, duh!” Frenzy said, laughing. Matt’s eyes were glued to Veronica. She was indeed very beautiful. She chose the emerald green dress which fitted her curves perfectly. Her neck was bare and it showed her sexy shoulder blades. Suddenly, his throat went dry.

“Our work is done, Mr. and Mrs. Elezar,” Frenzy told them, hanging up the dresses on the rack and packing up his makeup.

“Thank you so much, girls! You saved the day!” Veronica laughed.

Matt thanked them and walked them to the door. When he turned around, his wife was looking at him. He approached her and offered her an arm.

“Shall we?” he asked. There was a faint smile on the corner of her lips. He felt his pulse accelerate.

“Thank you,”

“Why do you have to be so beautiful, my wife?” he suddenly said. It was the same feeling he felt on their wedding day. He was deeply mesmerized by her beauty.

But he wasn’t in love.

●●●

“Here we are,” he drew a slow breath as he parked the car. “Ready?”

He saw the nervous expression on her face, but she managed to nod. “We have to do this perfectly, right?”

“Right,” he replied, assisting her out of the car.

“Wait, how do I look?”

He cleared his throat. “Perfect.”

Veronica looked at him and smiled.

●●●

Mr. Elezar immediately greeted them when they arrived. There was a big grin on his face when he saw Veronica. And he gave Matt the I-told-you-so look.

Veronica instantly drew a lot of attention. And Matt found himself trying to contain his fists from punching every guy who was trying to flirt with Veronica. He didn’t want to leave her but there were plenty of business people he had to talk to. He felt better when Elaiza came. His sister made a lot of heads turn too. She wasn’t so little anymore. Matt felt protective of her with those stares but he felt more protective of his wife.

Jealousy? Oh, cut it out.

When they heard the clinging of the glass, everyone turned and looked at Mr. Elezar. By this time, Matt managed to be beside his wife and held her close.