[Chapter 1]

Chapter 1

“Working hard?"

Matt looked up. He wanted to rest a long time ago, but he kept working because there was a huge stack of papers on his desk that he had to review by the end of the week. But he hated being interrupted. His forehead was wrinkled as he looked at his sister.

“Where’s Lorrie?” she asked referring to his secretary.

“I thought I made it clear that I’m not seeing anyone,” he whispered but loud enough for his sister to hear.

“Oh, c’mon Matt, give yourself a break,” she sighed and approached his desk. “I’ haven't seen you for days. My God, and we just live in the same house, don’t we?”

She gave him a kiss. And he gave her a quick hug. He was hoping to see her out the door. Elaiza has always been like that. And she showed up whenever he was so damn busy.

“I’m busy, Elaiza.”

“Yeah, yeah…looks like it,” she studied the papers on his desk. “But look at you. You’ve aged… You look ten years older. And it’s just because of these papers?”

“Please Elaiza, the last thing I need now is a nagging sister.”

“I’m not nagging,” she rolled her eyes. “I’m just trying to show you what you’re missing. Your life isn’t engaged with these papers. You don’t need to work 24 hours a day, my goodness! Unless you’re trying to forget something.”

“I’m busy, Elaiza, I don’t have time for baby talks. Now, go and grow up.”

“You’re not busy. You’re just trying to tire yourself out. You want to be stressed so you could forget about –“

“Stop it.”

“If you consider yourself grown up, then I want to be a baby forever. Can’t you take a look at yourself? Matt, there’s more to life than this company! And you know that. How many times do I have to remind you that-“

“Elaiza-”

“You’re going to be married!”

He stopped.

“There! I finally said it,” she smiled and sat on a chair infront of the desk. “Why are you avoiding this topic? And why are you avoiding your fiancée?” she asked with a playful grin on her face.

Matt smeared his face with his palm. That’s the last thing he would want to talk about.

“Just leave, Elaiza. And I mean, now!”

“I knew you would say that. But if you can’t do yourself a favor, then do this for Veronica. She doesn’t deserve to be treated this way.”

“Just leave,” he concentrated on the papers in front of him.

Elaiza stood up and sighed. “She had no choice but to marry you. Why are you making things so hard for both of you? This marriage might be for convenience but still its marriage. Taking vows doesn’t make you single; I just hope you know that, Matt. And Veronica, she’s human, not a cyborg like you.”

Matt didn’t respond. He wanted her out of his office.

“You have to make it up to her. The wedding is two weeks from now. And yet you never showed up even once for her. You screwed up every date you had because of your work. Can’t you just give her a couple of minutes? This whole thing isn’t easy for her. Can’t you make her load a little light by being gentle on her?”

He clenched his fists. You had no idea, Elaiza…

“Fine, I’m leaving!” she declared when she received no response from her stubborn brother. Even though he wasn’t looking at her, she smiled at him. “Anyway, I set up a date for you two. She’ll be coming in a couple of minutes. And don’t you ever put her off again.”