[Chapter 4]

Chapter 4

The day of the wedding.

Veronica was silent in the car. Her palms were cold and sweaty and she was a nervous wreck. Now she knew what wedding jitters meant. She couldn’t make out what she was feeling. Every emotion seemed to be at the extremes.

“You are the loveliest bride, Nica.” Her Aunt Rebecca cooed as her hands caressed Veronica’s face. Aunt Rebecca was her mom’s only sibling. “I wish your Mom was here. She would so happy to see you get married.”

She looked down and a faint smile fell on her lips. She missed her mom so much. “I wish she was here, too. I want to give her a hug before I get married.”

It’s been 5 years since her mother’s death from cancer. She spent many months crying, missing her, and struggling to move on with her life. But her Dad was her inspiration. She had to keep living and stay happy for him.

Aunt Rebecca took her palms. “But she’s watching over us, Nica. And I know she’s happy now.” She said. Her tone was genuine.  

“Yeah,” she nodded. “I just… I just can’t help feeling incomplete. Can I hug you, Aunt?”

Aunt Rebecca’s eyes watered as she angled her head and smiled. “Of course you can, sweetheart.”

Veronica hugged her Aunt real tight. All her worries went away. She felt as if she was hugging her Mom.

“I’m so glad you you’re here, Aunt Becca.”

“And so am I, Veronica.” Her voice was shaky and she wiped her tears with a tissue. “I never felt so happy.”

Her aunt was crying, just like when it was her first A, her graduation, her eighteenth birthday… and she knows why. She was just like her Mom. She looked like her, acted like her, spoke like her… she was her living replica. And she knew how much her aunt loved her sister.

 “Enough of this, we should be celebrating today!” she clapped her hands and laughed despite the tears of joy.

She fought back her own tears and put on a soft smile. She was right. It was her wedding day. There should be no tears today. After all, she’s going to marry the man she loves. And she owes that to her Mom.

●●●

People dressed in lavish clothing gathered outside the grand church, before being called in to take their seats. Many stayed behind, those who were to walk down the aisle before Veronica.

The organist played the wedding song. Veronica felt light as she walked down the aisle arm in arm with her dad and approached the altar. Her heart went crazy when she caught a glance of Matt. He wore a black and white tux, with a ribbon on his chest. He looked so handsome. But she couldn’t read the expression on his face. There was no smile, but he wasn’t angry. Somehow, she felt better.

This wedding won’t be a disaster after all.

The wedding singer began his song. Veronica drew a deep breath while in the middle of the aisle. She looked down and saw the flower petals that the flower girls had thrown around moments ago.

You’re my everything

The sun that shines above you

Makes the bluebirds sing

The stars that twinkle way up in the sky

Tell me I’m in love

When I kiss your lips

I feel the rolling thunder to my finger tips

And all the while my head is in a spin

Deep within, I’m in love

Veronica smiled. Yes she was. Desperately.

Her Dad held her tighter and she noticed him take a deep breath when they reached the top of the aisle. His lips quivered as he handed her hand to Matt and let her go. Her heart broke while her dad walked away. Tears formed in her eyes but she kept them from falling. She held onto Matt’s hand tighter as if doing so would make her stronger, but it made her want to laugh at herself. It’s so absurd. She was getting strength from a man who hated her guts.

Their eyes met for a second and then made their way together towards the altar.

Our first step in our journey towards forever, her hopeful heart whispered.

You mean, first step towards hell, her mind argued. It was true.