[Chapter 2]

Chapter 2

“I wasn't expecting what I saw…”

His eyebrows met.

“What do you exactly mean by that Dad?” he asked his dad who was slouched on the couch. If he hadn't visited his office, he could have devoured Veronica by all means. His throat felt dry just thinking about it. He tried to keep his full attention to his father.

“It’s my way of saying I’m glad, son.” Mr.Elezar chuckled and patted his son on the back. “This wedding is one of my biggest dreams. I knew you two were good for each other. I wish you had met a long time before… You could’ve had enough time to know each other.”

His jaws clenched. I’ve known her long enough, Dad…

“I’m sorry if I ruined the moment but I came for something important. Today is the best time to talk about this since I’ll be out of the country for a week.”

He nodded. He was aware of his dad's business transactions in Australia. “About what Dad?”

“This whole thing,” his father's eyes were fixed on his. “I just thought, it is not fair for you, son. I want this wedding to happen. And I can do all that it takes to make this work. But just so you know-” his dad handed him papers.

“I had the will changed,” he added which made Matt stop looking through them. “You have no threat anymore.”

“You gotta be kidding me!” he shouted. What the hell? He couldn't believe what he was reading. His tone was low, despite clear anger. “What the hell is this, Dad? What if I decide to back out now?”

“Which I know you won’t.”

He exhaled.

“Wanna bet on that?” Was he going to marry the woman whom he hated so much?

Mr.Elezar laughed while shaking his head, setting his suitcase on the table.

“Easy on the bet, son.” He squeezed Matt’s broad shoulders. “After what I just saw, I know I’m going to win. Though, it made me wonder… how could you have fallen so easily?” he added and gave Matt a meaningful smile.

“Pardon?”

“You can never lie. I saw the way you looked at Veronica. And I'm very familiar with those looks," he winked and laughed even more.

“I’m not in love with her.” he answered coldly. Yes, he might want to do her but that doesn’t mean anything at all. He hates her. And that would never change no matter how sweet her lips were.

“Defensive, aren’t we?” Mr.Elezar's grin was all the way up to his ears. “As I told you son, if you should marry her, it won’t be because of the will.”

Was he going to marry her? He cleared his throat.

“Do you want the wedding to happen or not?” Matt was serious.

The mood went from happy to somber. “You already know my answer."

“Then I’ll marry her.” he replied bluntly. “I guess…I’ll marry her for no reason at all.” He stuffed his hands in his pocket and looked out the window.

Mr.Elezar stared at Matt confused, wondering what was going through his son's mind.

“Do it your way. I’m sure, the moment she walked through your door you’ve found your reason. You just need time to know what it is, son.”

I hate her… that is the only reason I’m marrying her. But you wouldn’t want to hear this, Dad. You wouldn’t want to see me breaking her heart as she had broken mine.