[Chapter 7]

Chapter 7

“I told you about her.” Veronica whispered through her teeth. They quickly fixed up Matt’s room. It was a good thing there was a door that goes through to the master’s bedroom. They moved all of Matt’s things into Veronica’s room. “She can’t stay here, Matt. I won’t be able to pretend we’re okay.”

“I don’t want her here either!” he uttered irritably.

“Ssh!”

“Tell her to go.”

“Is she my sister? You tell her.” Veronica was getting irritated. Matt could be really annoying sometimes.

“Is everything alright?”

They both turned and looked at the doorway.

“Of course, Elaiza. We’re just fixing your bed.”

“Oh I thought you guys were arguing.” She laughed and did a hand gesture.

“Uhmm.. it’s just sweet nothings.” Veronica said.

“Oh, sweeeeeeet.” A playful smile crept onto Elaiza’s lips. “I’m really sorry I am bothering you.”

“Yes, you knew the perfect time to bother us, lil sis.” Matt said.

“Hon.” Veronica murmured. She felt awkward saying it.

“Oh, I really missed your sarcasm, Matt!” Elaiza said as she wrapped her arm around Matt’s. “Did you miss my wit?”

“No. Is there any way you can go, get a taxi?”

“ Are you saying I’m allowed to sleep with Dave?” she winked.

“No!” Matt scowled as he fluffed the pillows. He turned around. “Go to your friends’. We’re making a baby, Elaiza. You should consider that. We need privacy. Should I call a taxi now?” he asked, trying to shake Elaiza off his arms. Veronica knew they missed each other. Her stomach was in knots as she listened to their conversation. Making a baby?

“Oh, Matt, I don’t really mind if you make babies. A lot of babies! You can do whatever you want, I won’t bother you. My friends live far from here, you know that. But if I’m allowed to stay with–”

“No DAVE.”Matt argued in an authoritative voice.

“Then, there’s no other place but here. I already told Veronica and she said yes. Besides, it’s just for two days.”

Matt didn’t say anything so Elaiza turned to Veronica. “Right, Veronica?”

“Y-Yeah!” she answered, unsure what to say.

Matt looked at her, as if saying ‘This is your fault.’ She rolled her eyes.

●●●

Veronica could barely breathe while she lay beside Matt. The space between them was big but she couldn’t bring her heart to calm down. She was too tense. All the more because she could smell him. He smelled fresh.

Wait, wait, wait. What’s happening to her? She hates him.

Hate? Okay. Hate is probably too much. She was just a bit mad. Then why was she looking at him like he was a God or something?

I’m not!

Oh, yes you are.

No, I’m really not.

Okay, deny it.

“Stop it!” she suddenly muttered under her breath.

“Stop what?” Matt turned.

Veronica briskly put her hand over her mouth. “N-Nothing.” She replied and closed her eyes.

It was silent for a few minutes.

“Veronica?” Matt called.

She didn’t answer. She put her hand to her heart. It was still beating so fast. She felt Matt turn. She firmly closed her eyes. She wanted to sleep and wake up when Elaiza was gone so they no longer had to pretend. He turned again. She didn’t move. She pretended to be asleep.

“Veronica?” he called again.

“Huh?” her eyes snapped open. Ugh! She wanted to smack herself.

“Ah…” he said. He didn’t say anything else.

“What?” she asked and turned around.

“Nothing. I thought… Never mind.”

“Can I sleep now?” she said in an annoyed tone.

“Sure, sure. Just…”

“Just what?”

“Don’t forget to breathe.”

Veronica turned to the side so she wouldn’t see him. Wasn’t she breathing? Wait… he was watching her breathing?