[Chapter 3]

Author's Note:

Just so you guys know, a 'Prenuptial Agreement' is a document that states that if ever two people get divorced, the one who signed it will not get any and cannot run after the other person's money.

●●●

Veronica’s eyes widened. “M-Matt?” she wasn’t expecting him.

An awkward moment followed their meeting with Matt breaking the uncomfortable silence.

“Expecting someone else?”  He raised an eyebrow, turning his head slightly to the side.

“I-I thought you were busy,” she stuttered as she tried to calm her pounding heart. Her eyes lingered on his face down to the tight shirt he was wearing which showed his sculpted abs.

“Oh… not for you, my dear bride.” He said. She couldn’t help but notice the sarcasm in his tone.

“Shall we?” He said, motioning her out the door. “I told your Dad we need to talk.”

Veronica drew a slow breath and frowned. Matt was practically throwing her out of his office earlier that day. What’s with the nice talk?

“You should’ve called.” She pointed out as they made their way downstairs. She was conscious of her appearance. She was wearing a loose off the shoulder top and baggy sweatpants. Her hands casually stroked her bangs. She knew she looked worse. But who cares? He didn’t even bother looking at her.

“I did. Your dad answered.”

“What did you talk about?” she asked while studying his every move. And with every second that passed, her heart drummed even louder against her chest.

“You. Me. The wedding. Everything that concerns you.

“Did he give you a hard time?” she lowered her voice as they approached her dad’s study room.

“Not really.”

Before they entered the room, Matt drew out his hands to Veronica. “Smile.”

She felt like melting the instant he held her. Electricity went from her hands and spread to her system. She swallowed. Her heart ached a little. It’s the same warm hands that used to hold her. She just realized how much she missed him. She wanted to hug him but she prevented herself from doing so. It’s a miracle she managed to smile.

“Can I borrow your daughter for a while, Sir?”

She glanced at Matt, confused. What’s going on? She couldn’t read his actions. Where were they going?

“Sure, you can.”

He winked at her, “Don’t worry, I’ll take care of her.”

“Do whatever you want. No curfews.” Mr.Sandoval chuckled as he shared a look with his daughter. He sipped from the cup of tea.

“We won’t be long, Dad.” Veronica kissed her dad on the cheeks and then put her arm in Matt’s.

He escorted her all the way out of the house. But he abruptly let her go when the door closed.

“Where are we going?” she asked, desperately trying to steady her nerves.

“Somewhere private.” He answered. She couldn’t tell whether he was annoyed or just tired. He opened the door for her and she quickly got into his new Corvette.

They rode in silence for a few minutes. She swallowed.

“S-Something came up?” she asked. Matt drew a deep breath and focused on the traffic ahead of him.

“You’ll know when we get there.”

She could barely breathe from the deafening silence and so many questions floated in her head. There were so many things she wanted to say but she couldn’t. She turned on the stereo in an attempt to slice through the muteness. It’s not even music, it’s evening news.