[Chapter 9]

Chapter 9

There were only a few guests there. Some couples danced to the gentle song of the violin. Veronica’s forehead creased when she saw Elaiza at the bar. She looked totally confused and kept on taking shots of wine.

“I’ll talk to your sister.” She told Matt. He nodded and kissed her before walking towards a group of people talking to his dad.

Veronica still couldn’t believe what happened. She promised herself that she would never expect anything from Matt again. She couldn’t understand her feelings… She was happy... Very happy... But until when? Will Matt ever love her the way she loved him?

She sat down on the stool next to Elaiza when she got to the bar. Elaiza didn’t even notice her. She was just staring into the distance.

“That’s too much,” she commented, taking away the shot glass from her.

Elaiza looked startled. She looked at Veronica and gave her a weak smile. “Yeah… too much.”

“Are you okay? Drunk already?”

Elaiza looked at her. She bit her bottom lip.

“Oh I wish I was drunk.” She sighed. “Have you been in love, Veronica?” she asked, sounding sad.

“Of course. I’m in love with your brother,” she smiled. I love him so much…

“I mean, before him. First love, you know. Do you have any?”

“When I was sixteen,” she said like it just happened yesterday. “We all do, right?”

Veronica exhaled slowly. She had no idea where their conversation was going. But she knew something was bothering Elaiza.  

“What happened then?” Elaiza asked her, tilting her head. She was playing with her hair.

Veronica looked down. “I had to give him up.” Her voice was sad.
“Why?”

“To keep him safe.”

“I don’t understand…” Elaiza wrinkled her forehead.

“I had to keep him away from Dad’s wrath.”

She nodded, acting like she understood what Veronica said. “Painful, right?”

“Very.” She replied. A sad sigh slipped through her lips.

“I also had mine when I was sixteen.” Elaiza told her. Veronica didn’t know if she was smiling or about to cry.

“Where is he now?” she asked.

“Here,” Elaiza responded, her finger pointing at her chest. “I can’t get him off here,” she was having a hard time talking. Tears trickled down her face.

Veronica took her hand and squeezed it. “I know the feeling, Elaiza.”

“Why does it have to hurt?” she whined. “Why does this stupid feeling never cease to end?”

Veronica wasn’t sure what to say because she didn’t know the answer either. Why does it have to hurt?

Elaiza looked up, taking rough wipes at her tears. “Do you still think of him? Your first love?” she asked.

“Yes.” Every moment of every single day, she wanted to add.

Elaiza wrinkled her nose. “You still love him?”

She sighed. “I guess there are just things that don’t change.”

Suddenly, a single tear streamed down Elaiza face and she covered it with her hands. “It’s so unfair…” Veronica leaned towards Elaiza and embraced her.

“It is.” She sounded stupid. But well, she is.

“If you weren’t engaged with Matt, would you marry your first love instead?” She looked up, her eyes soaked with tears.

Veronica had no clue what to say.

“Honestly?” she asked, looking at Elaiza straight in the eyes. “Yes.”

Tears blurred Veronica’s vision.

“Don’t get me wrong, Elaiza. I love your brother so much.”

“I know. I know… I can see it. But it’s just so unfair. Why do we have to feel something so strong for someone we can’t be together with?”

Again, she didn’t know what to say. She wanted to blurt out, why do we have to love someone who can’t love us in return?

“Just let it out, Elaiza…”

“I don’t want to love him anymore,” she sniffed, sobbing like a little child.

“Is that why you just kissed someone out of whim?” Veronica questioned her when she remembered seeing her kissing the waiter.

There was a long pause before she answered.

“That’s okay, Elaiza. I’ve done it before, too.” She admitted.