Chapter 9

SAVANNAH

If I say that this week is a busy one, it's an understatement.

Aside from various business meetings for EGC that I need to attend, I still have final exams to take care of, I still have to do my student council president duties for the various events we had organized for the end of semester, to check and approve proposals, to approve budget from different colleges for their respective events and so much more.

Sleep became a distant memory, and caffeine felt like my only lifeline. 

"Paalis ka na, Vane?" Mom asked as I tried to dash my way out of the house.

"Yeah, I'm gonna be late." I answered.

"Hindi ka pa nagaalmusal, Vane." Mom narrowed her eyes at me. "Look at you, you're getting pale."

"Nope, maputi lang talaga ako, Mom." I quickly reasoned myself out. "Sa labas na ako magaalmusal."

"Natutulog ka pa ba?" Mom asked and raised an eyebrow at me.

"Yes, Mom. Natutulog pa ako." I quickly lied.

I have been awake since yesterday, relaying to coffee and energy drinks to stay awake. At least I get to practice for the future long shifts that I'll have once I'm a doctor and once I'm a doctor, I can stand those 36 hours or longer shifts.

"Bye, Mom. I love you!" I kissed Mom's cheeks before getting out of the house before she could ask me more.

I decided to use my White Corvette C7 Stingray and I was not lying to Mom when I said I would have breakfast outside. I was on my way to grab something on the go before going to the campus when my phone started ringing. I stopped my car at the side first before picking up the call.

"Hello, Camila." I greeted on the phone.

"Hi, Vane." Camila answered back. "Papasok ka na ba ng campus?"

"Yeah, I'm on my way already." 

"I know you're swamped, but we need your input on the decorations for the farewell party," Camila said, sounding both sympathetic and worried.

Looks like I would be really lying to Mom today, I won't be having breakfast.

"Sure thing, Camila." I answered on the phone. "Be there in 10."

Camila thanked me before dropping the call. Instead of grabbing food, I immediately made my way to the campus. I could endure for a few more hours as I had coffee before leaving.

Mom doesn't count that as breakfast though.

As I sped towards the campus in my sleek White Corvette C7 Stingray, the adrenaline from the powerful engine provided a welcome distraction from the whirlwind of responsibilities awaiting me. The cool breeze ruffled my hair as I parked the car and hurried towards the student council room.

Entering the room, I was greeted by the sight of Camila and a few other members huddled around a table piled with decorations and color swatches. They looked up as I walked in, and Camila immediately handed me a cup of coffee.

"Thanks for coming so quickly, Vane. We really need your creative input for the farewell party decorations," she said, her eyes reflecting both appreciation and concern.