Chapter 8

SAVANNAH

It's been a week since dad's wake and today, Sunday, is his funeral. With the final exams coming this week and my other commitments, I was very busy the past week studying and fulfilling my council roles.

I began on appearing on some of the family business meetings.

It was only 8am but the sun was nowhere around, it was a gloomy day. There was even a chance of raining.

I started rummaging through my walk-in closet trying to find the perfect outfit. After around ten outfits thrown back and forth, I decided to wear a black knee length long sleeve trench coat dress paired with some black ankle boots. I also decided to pair it with a black Victorian hat. I let my hair down on its natural curls. I only applied a bit of make up and a striking red lipstick, once I was satisfied with my look I went out of my room and joined my family at the living room. Mom was sitting on the couch while my brothers were just standing near the staircase.

The twins were wearing black shirt with black tie paired with black fitted slacks and polished black leather shoes. Their black coats were hanging on their shoulders. They also wore matching black Fedora hats on their heads.

Meanwhile, Mom decided to wear a black pantsuit paired with black heels. She was also wearing black tinted round sunglasses to probably cover her puffy eyes. She wasn't wearing any hats at all. Her hair was in a sophisticated bun.

"Are you ready, Vane?" Mom asked, her voice laced with a hint of anxiety.

I nodded, my heart pounding in my chest. "I think so."

"You look lovely, dear," Mom said, her eyes glistening with tears. "Your father would be so proud."

I managed a small smile, but the lump in my throat made it difficult to speak. I looked around at my brothers, their somber expressions mirroring my own.

"We're going to miss him," I said, my voice barely a whisper.

"We know," Michael replied, his voice thick with emotion. "But he would want us to be strong."

We stood there for a moment, lost in our shared grief.

"Let's go, the funeral mass will start at 9am." Mom said and stood up.

We nodded at her and the twins wore their coats. We quietly followed Mom outside the house. Two Black Mercedes-Maybach Pullman was waiting for us. Me and mom boarded the first one while the twins went to the second one. We're now off to the funeral home so the funeral march to the cathedral can start.

Mom opened the compartment between our seats and took out a bottle of champagne and a champagne glass. She opened the bottle and pour out its contents.

"Here, to relax you a little."

I shook my head "I think you're the one who needed it Mom."

"Come on take it, you were too busy for the past weeks. Don't lie to me, I knew you were being followed by paparazzi now." Mom pushed the glass further at me.

"Fine, mom, but only if you drink as well." I said and took the glass while Mom took the other glass and pour the champagne.

As I took a sip of the champagne, the bubbly liquid danced on my tongue, a welcome contrast to the somber mood that had been hanging over me for the past week. The alcohol burned a pleasant warmth in my throat, easing the tension that had been knotting my muscles.

I glanced over at my mother, noticing the way her eyes sparkled with a hint of mischief.

"You know," Mom said, her voice laced with amusement, "I think I've underestimated your popularity."