Chapter Four: A glimpse of forever

19th January, 2007.
Abuja, Nigeria.

It had been a week since Abdullah's second visit to Aisha's home. The days after hadn't passed by in a blur, each one passed by roughly brushing against her shoulder till she landed to the ground.

Everyday was a representative of a foreign misery.

Today, Aisha would meet Abdullah for the third time in reality. Albeit, this very meeting sat in her heart with the feeling of a first_ it was an alone date afterall. Aisha could already see the simmering trouble and the brewing outcome of it_ Abdullah would kill her the minute he got the chance or beat her to stupour, or do the latter knowing fully well it would lead to the former.

"Naaby! I can't do this. It's too much. He'd end my life for good." Aisha's whisper sliced through the silence. She carelessly fell to the mattress on her back.

"We can tell Gwaggo that. I would much rather have loud music anywhere than have you move around with a handsome stranger_that stranger doesn't look like a killer to me though." Zainab enthused.

"Naaby, you should know looks are deceitful. We are all what we are and it has nothing to do with the face we have. Although I would rather go out and get killed today than let loud music and mixed gatherings change my life forever_ not like I have an image of happily ever after in my head. I know the groom, he's a pimp." Aisha gave out a weak sigh, her voice nervous.

"You don't know that. You've only known him for what? Fifteen minutes? It takes time Aisha." Zainab spoke softly, falling right next to Aisha on the mattress.

"Gwaggo says we don't have time_ Men from reputable families are scarce. If he leaves, non of his kinds would come. That's pretty much it for everyone. Right?" Aisha couldn't help but feel a growing pang in her chest.

"Not for me, I'm sure Hauwa doesn't think that too. Mama isn't a part of this either." Zainab said honestly.

Aisha humourlessly chuckled.

"What has Mama ever been a part of?" She questioned, not anticipating any response. "Naaby, where was she when Baba gave you away? I'm getting married on Saturday_ that's next tomorrow! Mama hasn't said or done a thing. Because she wasn't involved!" The pain in Aisha's heart had déjà vu crested against every part of it_ she knew where it gushed out from_ it was realizing for the millionth time in her life, Hajiya Maryam_ thier mother, had never fought for them as a mother should've, she'd never cared as much as a mother would've. There was a growing distance between them, it broke Aisha everytime she tried to cross through.

"Aisha, you still get to see her everyday you wake up." She paused. "I don't." Her voice drained.

The world might've easily mistook Aisha and her only younger sister_ Hauwa, the advantageous ones of the three siblings_ afterall, they got to be around thier mother while Zainab was away.

Aisha knew better, they grew up a few feets away from their mother and a million more feets away from her warmth.

  "My God! This discussion has grown into something else." Zainab tried to lighten up the atmosphere. " For now, Why don't we get you something to wear? We can deal with sending Gwaggo packing today, when you come back okay? Baba can even tag along if you want." Her elder sister scooted off the mattress and went to the box that had Aisha's clothes neatly ironed and folded in it.

"The hell we can. I would gladly let her take all my hijabs. She can stash her belongings in my box as well... Anything that can drive them out of my life faster abeg." Aisha said and the duo cracked up.

"Ya Illaahi! Aisha. Don't you have clothes?" As expected, Zainab's eyes widened in acerbic humour.

"I'm not naked."