29. Bittersweet Memory

Ryo was a bit flustered. 

That was probably an understatement, but she hated admitting it as it was. 

The hosts had lost some of their guests to the siblings, a number of girls fawning over her brother as they sat under an umbrella to watch him draw, whatever girl being his focus at the time blushing bright red until he handed the image over. There was a responding cry each time he did so. 

Tamaki had dubbed her brother the "Sensitive Prodigy" type, which Ryo instantly vetoed. Her brother was too young to be dragged into the host club. She would allow him to draw the girls, but that the most she was willing to allow. Of course, she doubted that she would be able to do anything against it should Yuu ask to spend more time at the club. 

On her end, she was sitting next to her cousin, focused on the notebook in her lap. Considering she had been to the host club more than once, there were girls familiar enough with her to sit with the two to talk instead of spending time with the others. 

"So you're both commoners then?" one girl piped up. 

"Yeah," Haruhi replied. "I got into Ouran through the entrance exam as a scholarship student."

"My case is a bit different," Ryo piped up. "I actually have a contract with Ouran, so while I'm a second-year student, I am also employed by the school."

"Wow, really?"

"What do you do for the school?"

She glanced up from her work, hesitating to answer. "Since a lot of the students at Ouran are from influential families, there is always the risk of someone trying to do harm to the students or the campus. I help prevent that."

The girls stared at her in awe. 

"That's so cool!"

"I can't believe we have you watching over us!"

"I figured Ouran had a system in place, but I didn't know you were a part of it!"

The brunette nodded. "It's kept pretty quiet."

A girl suddenly leaned closer. "So Hisakawa, how do you know the host club? Who's your favorite host?"

Ryo froze, sharing a look with Haruhi. 

"Well, I work with the Ootoris for various projects outside of the school, and technically I am employed by the Suoh family," she mused. "As for my favorite host, I don't believe I have one. They all have good and bad qualities, like any normal person."

Haruhi scoffed without thinking. "Sure. We both know that you would choose Kyouya or the third-years in a heartbeat."

She shook her head and took down another reminder for herself. "Don't even. If I was forced to pick it would be you."

"That's cheating."

"No, it's not. You are a host after all."

"It doesn't count."

"Haruhi, your logic is flawed."

"You know I'm right!"

The girls looked somewhat taken aback by the quick banter between them. "Are-Are you close to Haruhi?"

They blinked, both tilting their heads slightly, eerily similar to the twins for a moment as they spoke in sync. "We're cousins actually."

"Our mothers were sisters," Ryo explained. 

"That makes sense!" one of the girls chirped. "You're both so naturally charming after all!"

She felt thoroughly confused as the girls all nodded in agreement.