26. His Name

The house was pitch black and silent. 

Disoriented, Ryo blinked, a yawn escaping from her lips as she pushed herself up and blindly reached for her glasses. 

She didn't recall falling asleep or taking her glasses off. Perhaps she had taken them off after being woken up by the uncomfortable feeling they brought when trying to sleep. 

Ryo sat up further, staring confused at the blanket that had been covering her moments before. Her parent's blanket was still folded from where she had been holding it, but the blanket over her lap was one she had sworn was put away. 

The sound of faint typing reached her ears. 

"What are you doing in my house?" she demanded, spotting Kyouya working away behind his computer at her table. 

His eyes glanced up, meeting hers. "You're awake."

"You didn't answer my question."

"You left the door unlocked," he answered with a sigh. Kyouya adjusted his glasses and closed his laptop. "Haruhi informed me you would be home alone and free to talk. When I arrived, the door was unlocked and you were already asleep."

Of course Haruhi would pull something like this. Her cousin probably knew it would take much longer if someone didn't intervene.

Her eyes narrowed. "So you decided to stick around and make yourself at home?"

"To be frank, yes. I am determined to speak with you," he stated, pausing for a moment. Ryo could have sworn a moment of uncertainty passed over his face. "Also, my home was feeling rather busy so I was glad to get out for a moment."

He looked tired. 

Tamaki's message resurfaced in her mind. 

Concern filled her as she looked at him.a sigh left her lips. Ryo stood, adjusting her dress and pushing her hair from her face. Moving towards the kitchen, she found her food in the fridge and started to warm it once again. Hesitantly, she spoke up, distracting her eyes with her task. 

"Have you been getting much rest?" she asked. 

"I don't see how that pertains to-"

"I'm asking because you look exhausted and I'm trying to figure out what we're doing," she interrupted, a yawn coming shortly after. 

There was a pause, and she heard his chair scrape against the floor as he moved slightly. 

"No." His honesty was unexpected. "Clearly you haven't either."

She flushed, knowing he was right. "How would you know?"

This time, there was a bit of a smirk in his voice. "I'm no fool, we've been partners for almost two years now. Plus, Haruhi and Yuu can be the best or worst of secret keepers."

So he bribed her brother and cousin, or they willingly told him. She assumed that it was a mixture of the two.

It had been a while since they had talked. His voice was nice to hear. 

"Besides, it isn't like you to forget to lock the door," he said. A bit quieter, he added, "You only fall asleep easily when you've pushed yourself to your limits."

"Do you want some?" she quickly blurted, plating the now hot food. 

Once again, a pause. "Sure."

He left almost immediately after you.

She placed the plates down on the table, sitting across from him. The two ate in silence, and she noticed the way he hesitantly took the first bite, his eyes widening before he continued to eat. She quietly sighed in relief, glad that she hadn't given him something he wouldn't eat.