𝔵𝔩𝔳𝔦𝔦𝔦 | sixth year

The year passes silently. Draco greets me in the halls and does little things for me that maybe show me a little bit that he still cares, but I can see the life draining from him as the days pass. 

Something has happened to him since that fateful night we were apprehended, and I can tell that it isn't good. I want to hex Aurora so badly that she falls into a million pieces. I thought I had helped Draco. I thought I was doing something good. 

The year progresses as normal. I spend most of my time with Daphne, and on occasion Ginny, Luna, and Hermione. Everything seems ordinary, until Cassandra Carpathia walks into the great hall one morning, finally being released from the hospital wing. Our room has been strangely empty since the attack on her, since Aurora is usually out late at night and Pansy hates our dorm so much she sleeps on an empty bed in Millicent's. 

Wanting to make sure she's okay, I get up from my seat next to Luna and Daphne to approach her, and see that Harry's already starting a conversation. I walk up to them, touching Cassandra on her back, "Are you alright, Cassandra?"

She smiles a little. It looks like she's a bit more understanding of other people now, though she seems on edge, "I was just telling Harry that I can't recall who cursed me. I just... can't." The girl looks heartbroken, "I'm sorry, I wish I could help."

"Don't apologize, Cassandra," Harry starts, but Cassandra's gaze is fixed on someone behind him. Harry and I turn to see Draco standing in the middle of the aisle, staring straight at us with fear in his eyes. Stop it, Draco. 

He turns around quickly, loosening his tie and rushing out of the hall, "I knew it," Harry mutters under his breath. I want to stop him but he moves too fast, following Draco out of the hall. I run after him, trying to catch up as the two chase each other up staircases and down hallways. Draco looks over his shoulder ever so often, beads of sweat on his forehead, before we lose him down a twisty corridor. 

However, Harry seems to know where to go, rushing up a set of stairs to the third floor boys' lavatories. I hesitate for a second about following Harry in, but decide that I should. I don't know what could happen. 

Harry and I walk in silently, hearing the echoes of Draco's sobs against the high stone ceiling. He doesn't know we're there. My heart breaks for him. 

Harry breaks the silence with an accusatory tone, "I know what you did, Malfoy! You hexed her, didn't you?" Draco turns around, shock on his face. His hair, slicked with sweat flops into his face. His eyes travel to me and hurt flashes across his face. 

Draco throws a spell at Harry, almost too quickly for him to react, but he dodges it and lashes one back, "No, stop it!" I yell as they duel, spewing open pipes with each spell that misses. They weave around the bathroom, flooding the floor. 

They won't listen to any of my pleas, so I decide there's only one way to get them to stop. As Harry spots Draco, he spews out his next spell, "Sectumsempra!" And I jump in front of Draco, pushing him back behind me. 

I scream as the spell hits me like shrapnel in the stomach. I feel like my chest has been split open to put my organs on display. I'm flung backward, and Draco tries to catch me but it's no use. I hit the wet ground hard, blood seeping into the water around me. Spots flood my vision as I watch the water around me turning a bloody pink color. I can't move. 

My vision blurs before it ultimately goes dark. 

draco's pov–

"What have you done?" I scream at Potter, tears still falling down my face, "What have you done to her?" Harry stands there in shock, his hands shaking as he still clutches his wand that released that horrifying spell. 

"I–" Harry stutters, slowly walking forward, "I– I didn't know–"

"Didn't know what? That you'd kill her!"  I try to press my hands into her bleeding torso to stop it, but it's no use. It's almost as if the more I try to help her the more slashes in her skin appear, "What have you done?" I repeat, my tears mixing with the water from the broken pipes. 

This was stupid. This was all stupid. I should have never let anger take ahold of me. I should have never fired the first shot. Not with Y/N standing right there. I should have known she would try to save the day with her stubbornness. I just clutch her hand. 

Somehow, after a while, Snape finds us, swishing in silently with his black robes. Harry hurries out, speechless. Snape looks terrified, "Did you do this?"

"No, it was Potter." I say, still clutching Y/N's hand so hard that my knuckles have turned white. The pool of water underneath her has practically turned red with her blood, "Do something!"

Snape whispers an odd phrase under his breath, "Vulnera Sanentur," repeating it as the blood rushes back into her body, the gashes in her skin healing quickly. Her breathing evens, and Snape stands up, "We should bring her to the hospital wing to rest. It looks like she's had a horrid fall in the girls' lavatories."

I nod, understanding the lie he wants me to tell, and help him escort Y/N to the hospital wing. I stay by her side the whole time. 

Potter's going to pay.