𝔵𝔳 | fourth year

"So you really made the team?" Aurora squeals with excitement. I try to calm her down, acting like it's not a big deal, but inside I'm a nervous wreck. Thankfully, there are no games this year because of the Tournament, but still being a part of that boys' club and having to prove myself is terrifying. 

"Yeah, she did. And she might even replace Pucey for one of the starting Chaser positions," Blaise says, smiling, "I'm just going to act like I'm not jealous."

I shove him, "Stop it, Blaise, you're being too nice. I'll definitely be a substitute." I adjust my scarf. A group of Slytherin students in the year above us walk out of the common room donning the new 'Potter Stinks' pins, and large signs with Cedric's face and name on them.

"We should probably get going," Daphne says. The air outside is getting crisp and the breezes are becoming more aggressive, so we grab our jackets and begin the walk out to the arena. It has been magically built on the surrounding cliffside overnight. 

Most students were permitted to Apparate there with teacher's approval, but because of Blaise's near-expulsion last year because he attempted to Apparate into Snape's personal potions collection to find ingredients for a fire-breathing potion, he is not allowed to Apparate anywhere. So we have to walk up the many stairs up the cliff with the first and second years. 

"I wonder what the hell they're going to have the champions do." I say, out of breath from the trek, "Why do we have to be so damn far from the castle."

We near the top of the cliff, getting over the last couple of stairs and as we spot the large, stone, Coliseum-like structure, my breath is taken away, "Looks like they're going to be fighting something," Blaise responds to my earlier question.

We get into the arena, taking seats in the Slytherin section. People around us hoist up Cedric posters and merchandise. It doesn't look like anyone is really cheering for Harry, even Ron looks fed up with him as I spot the red-headed boy from across the arena. Some Gryffindors are holding Harry paraphernalia, but not many. 

I feel kind of bad for him, and try to see if I can spot the champions, but it looks like they are inside the tent at the base of the arena, preparing for the fight of their lives.

My friends and I look out at the rocky ground of the arena, trying to figure out what this task might possibly be, but just as we begin talking about it, "Our first champion, Cedric Diggory!" Is called out. 

Suddenly, Barty Crouch casts a spell onto Cedric's hand as he steps out of the tent, and the little thing wriggling around on his palm suddenly grows. Cedric jumps away as it transforms into a looming dragon, who breathes a lashing of fire out into the sky. Everyone goes crazy, cheering and screaming in delight for Cedric.

"Blimey, that's a Swedish Short-Snout!" Someone yells. Cedric stands there for a moment as the dragon flaps its wings, breathing in again to shoot out another wall of fire. Cedric suddenly turns, casting a spell at a nearby rock.

We watch intently. The rock Transfigures into a barking dog, that makes the dragon hesitate for a second, then it's attention switches to the Transfigured animal. Cedric quickly grabs the golden egg, just as the Short-Snout realizes that it was tricked and turns back around to breathe a wave of fire that almost singes his hair. 

The dragon is shrunk back down by Mr. Crouch and Cedric cheers in success. Everyone in the crowd chants his name and the Hufflepuff house jumps up and down in excitement. Cedric looks genuinely happy. I chant his name along with everyone, as Daphne looks at him dreamily. 

"He's so handsome." She flutters her eyelashes and I laugh. When I glance to Blaise; however, his face looks stung with jealousy. Interesting.

Next, Fleur Delacour faces a Common Welsh Green, a smaller, green-tinted dragon. Compared to the Short-Snout, it looks pretty tame, and Fleur quickly lulls it to sleep with an enchanted lullaby. She grabs the egg, the skirts of her competition robe flickering with a flame. Some of the Beauxbatons girls yell at Fleur in French and she casts a spell on her robes. Holding tight to the egg, Barty Crouch shrinks her dragon down. 

Krum, up after Fleur, quickly finishes his task, cursing the Chinese Fireball he was assigned to become blind. The dragon crushes a large amount of it's real eggs, and it is announced that Krum will lose points. He stomps his foot in anger, and grabs the golden egg. 

When Potter slowly walks out of the tent, he looks to be extremely scared, clutching his wand as tight as he can. People cheer his name, and I join in. Hopefully he didn't cheat and enter his name, because I honestly don't believe he did. He had no reason to.

A large, menacing dragon peeks out from the rocks across the arena. A Hungarian Horntail. Definitely the worst of the bunch, with it's spiked horns and lethal-looking tail. Everyone in the arena lets out a gasp when they see the beast. Harry looks around in confusion from everyone's reaction, and the dragon shows itself to him, breathing out fire that Potter attempts to dodge. 

I cover my eyes in terror, then peek behind one of my fingers. Potter is rolling around on the rocks, trying to dodge each blow of fire. Screams of terror come from the crowd as Potter has a couple close calls. He yells something out.

"Accio Firebolt!" His broom comes shooting through the air from the castle, almost hitting a couple Durmstrang students in the head, who curse at the broom. Harry jumps from a rock, mounting the broom and flying off over the stands. The dragon follows, it's thorny tail hitting an empty row of stands. 

Everyone turns, watching Harry fly closer to the castle and away from the arena, bringing the dragon with him. Then suddenly, he turns around and makes a beeline towards the egg, grabbing it under his arm and hovering in the air. 

Right before the dragon knocks into him, Crouch shrinks it. The crowd erupts into cheers and chants. 

I grin as I watch Potter's smile break across his face.