"What do you know about Artificial Intelligence?" Councilor Sparatus asked, stepping into the conversation.

"I know they are illegal to research and attempt to create," Shepard answered looking at all three Councilors. "After what happened with the Geth and Quarians, anyone caught will be put to death or worse."

"That's correct," Sparatus said, nodding. "Any knowledge of A.I is forbidden in Council Space."

"We have reason to believe an A.I is being researched and created," Sparatus continued handing her a datapad.

"How do we know this?" Shepard asked taking the datapad.

"A researcher in the V.I program came to us with probable cause that one of the main researchers may have been creating a A.I," Councilor Tevos said, speaking for the first time. "The researcher managed to grab the datapad and a couple of paper notes."

Sparatus handed Shepard the folder. Shepard took a few minutes to look through the datapad and the notes. Most of the notes had equations, formulas, and mathematics diagrams. The datapad explained the purpose to the implant and how it would be connected to the spine for the nervous system and the brain to speak to one another.

"There is no mention of how the A.I will be created," Shepard said. "Just how it's going to be housed; well the possibility of it being housed."

"The notes aren't complete," Sparatus said. "We don't know how far the research has gotten or if they have started building it."

"We need you to go in and find out," Valern said after a few minutes of silence. "I have compiled a file with everything we have on artificial intelligence, this will help you when you go undercover."

A few seconds later Shepard received a notification for a file transfer.

"I don't think we have to remind you of the importance of keeping this information safe," Valern continued.

"I understand," Shepard replied. "Is there any more information on the program and the researcher?"

"It's run by an Alec Ryder," Tevos replied. "It's not much to go but we know that he likes to visit the Science Academy and that's where our researcher got recruited."

That name sounded familiar but Shepard couldn't place it.

"We are working on getting you assigned to the program as an intern receiving her doctorate degree," she continued. "You are going in as Ms. Laura Lang."

Shepard received another email notification, no doubt containing her new identity. It appeared she had everything she needed.

"Does Udina know about this?" Shepard asked out of curiosity, she never liked the guy.

"He's not involved," Councilor Sparatus replied. "You shouldn't concern yourself with him."

"When do I start?" Shepard asked looking at all three Councilors. It was best to change the subject.

"In a few hours," Tevos replied. "Mirithea will show you to your temporary quarters and will be accompanying you on your mission as your personal assistant."

With that Shepard stood up and thanked the Councilors and made her way back to the main office. Mirithea was already waiting for her, bag in hand.

"Dr. Lang," Mirithea said, in greeting "I am Ms. Ka'li Shaana, your personal assistant. I am happy to make your acquaintance."

"Nice to meet you," Shepard said, assuming her role as Dr. Lang.

"Are you all set?" She asked smiling. "I have made some reservations for you. I do hope they are to your liking."