||Chapter 3||

◼️◼️◼️

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

◼️◼️◼️

Once again, math class was profoundly boring. I never understand the need to learn about such things. I won't need it in the future. I'm not going to buy something then have to do the quadratic formula to find out how much the item will cost.

"Ms. Long, may I have a word with you for a second?" Mr. Ives folds his wrinkled hands on his desks. I adjust my books in my arms as I make my way to his desk, watching as the rest of the class leaves.

Run. Escape while you can, dear people.

"Ms. Long, what is this?" He hands me a paper that I recognize as a doodle I drew while he bored me of his mathematical teaching lessons on why it is important when he realized no one was paying attention.

"I'm so sorry. I tried to listen but I got distracted, please don't p-" He put his hand up and I instantly shut my mouth.

"This is a brilliant piece of art." His eyes wander the paper with amazement.

"What?" It is just a doodle of an eye. I mean anyone can draw an eye. It's an oval with a circle. Not difficult.

"Do I need to repeat what I said, Ms. Long?" He raises an eyebrow at me and I shake my head. If there was one thing that Mr. Ives hated, it was repeating himself.

"T-thank you but it's noth-"

"Join Art club. " He shoots at me and I stumble back at his excitement.

"Mr. Ives, I-I don't th-"

"Please, your work fascinates me and the emotion in the eye shows darkness. I know about your past, Ms. Long. This could be a great opportunity to express those emotions."

And just like that, anger boils within me.

"Look, I don't need to express my emotions through some dumb piece of paper." I snatch the drawing off his desk, "It's just a doodle. I'm not Van Gogh!" I crumble it, throwing it out on my way out of the classroom.

"Ms. Long!" Mr. Ives calls out to me but I kept walking not bothering to look back at him.

Mr. Ives has no idea what he is talking about. I don't need art as some therapeutic way for me to cope with life. I'm completely fine with coping with life in my own way. My coping method is simple and working well for me so far in life. I just keep my head down and get through every day without any problems.

What was he even doing digging through the trash?

I step right and left as I maneuver through the crowded hallways of Kinley High. I feel a hand wrap around my wrist, causing me to jump. I look up just as Tanner pulls me out of the crowd to the side.

"Sorry, I just wanted to talk to you for a second." I yank my hand out of his grip.
He puts his hands in his pockets. I stand there awkwardly waiting for him to speak.

"I wanted to apologize for Corey's behavior." Tanner starts and when I don't say anything he continues, "Look, Corey is a huge asshole. If he bothers you, let me know. Paris would kill me if she finds out someone is bothering you."

Of course, he is only doing this because of Paris. He doesn't care about me.

"I'm fine. I don't need protection." I decided not to add the fact that the last person I would want protecting me is him. "I should get to lunch before all the tater tots are gone."

Tanner nods his head slowly, understanding. "Yeah, I would hate to miss out on Tots Tuesday."

I take a deep breath before heading into the cafeteria. I was happy that the lunch line wasn't long. I only had to stand in the line for only a few minutes.

I head towards my sister's table wanting to hang around with her since it is Mom's birthday. I see Tanner out of the corner of my eyes and he's looking at me as Corey tells him something. I can feel his eyes burning into me.

Jeez, didn't I just tell him I don't need protection?

"Hey, Paris!" The smell of the pizza and the tater tots hits my nose, increasing my urge to eat it right now.

"What are you doing here?" Maya raised her eyebrows at my presence, watching my every movement as I sit beside Paris. Maya didn't enjoy when I intruded on her and Paris. She acts as if I'm some annoying little sister tagging along with her older sister to be cool. She must forget that Paris is my sister.

"I wanted to sit with my sister." I sneered with a fake smile plastered on my face.

Maya gives Paris a look, almost pleading with her. Paris rolls her eyes before turning her body towards me.

"Peyton, I need to talk with Maya." A forced smile, almost sad is on her face. "It's important."

"Is everything okay?" I want to know what exactly is important that I can't hear.

Paris takes a deep breath. "Can you sit somewhere else, please? Go sit with Willow. You have your own friends." Paris focuses back on Maya. They start going on about early prom dress shopping and what they want to wear.

Wow, so important.

"Mom would be so proud," I mumble under my breath knowing she probably heard me. I know I shouldn't have stooped that low but I was too angry to care. I disliked the fact that one look was all it took for Maya to get me to leave.

I give Willow a slight smile as she sees me making my way over to our corner table where no one bothers us. Willow and I met during freshman year. She is like another sister to me. She knows everything about me from embarrassing moments to my deepest, darkest secrets. Not in the creepy stalker kind of way. It was a best friend thing.

"Hey, Peyton!" Willow's ginger hair is pulled into a tight ponytail making her icy blue eyes pop. Sometimes I swear her eyes can freeze me just because of how blue they are.

"Hey Willow." I glance back at Paris who is now engaged in a deep conversation with Tanner. My face cringes in disgust at the thought of her even trying to flirt with him. I don't see why she does it. I know she enjoys being his best friend but there is still a part of her that would jump at the chance, if given, to get with Tanner.

"I don't think she's ever going to give up on hoping for something with Tanner. I don't even think he sees her like that," She takes a sip of her milk before continuing, "And still don't understand why you choose to hate his guts."

I narrow my eyes at Willow for bringing it up. For four years, she has never understood why I choose to not be all buddy-buddy with Tanner. She knows that I don't want to be friends with him just because of Paris. I don't see what is the big deal about being friends with him. I don't see myself being friends with Tanner.

"He's Tanner. She's Paris. And I'm Peyton." I shrug my shoulders before pushing my finished tray away from me.

Willow shakes her head, "And I'm Willow. Nice to meet you." She offers her hand out and I roll my eyes. She is quirky and I love that about her.

The bell rings signaling the end of lunch. Willow and I had the type of friendship where we laughed like best friends but fought like sisters. I couldn't have asked for anyone better to be labeled as my best friend.

*********************************************************************

Danielle Campbell is who I picture Peyton to look like. Danielle Campbell is a raw actress and I love that about her which is why I think she is perfect for my representation of Peyton.