Chapter Twenty-One

I slowly open my eyes. White shines down from the ceiling. I blink a few times for my eyes to adjust. I start to sit up as I look at my surroundings. I freeze when I see Jace sitting in the chair next to my bed. I stretch my hand out to touch his face. As soon as I make contact, he slowly opens his eyes as if he just awoke from a dream.

"Hazel?" Jace says as his face lights up. I smile as tears start streaming down my face.

"Jace, I'm so glad you're here." I say as my voice breaks. He smiles.

"Me too. I'm glad you're awake. I'll go get the nurse and your mom." He says as he starts heading towards the door.

"Wait!" I say. He stops and turns around. I wipe away the tears.

"Um, do they know?" I ask quietly. He gives me a small smile.

"You don't need to worry about that now." He says then walks out of the door. I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding. The last thing I remember was being on the roof with Jace. Then, all of my friends joined us and that's where it went south. I look at my hand. My heart skips a beat. It really happened. Jace gave me a promise ring. I smile big and just adore the ring. A few minutes pass and the door opens.

"Hello Hazel. Glad you're awake. How are you feeling?" A nice nurse asks. I smile.

"I'm good thanks." I say. She smiles.

"Good to hear. Do you remember why you're in the hospital?" She asks.

"I... fainted?" I ask. She nods her head yes.

"Has that ever happened before?" The nurse asks. I shake my head no.

"Well, in this case, it just seems like stress caught up to you. You'll be fine and be able to go home in a few hours. I'll send your mom in." She says smiling. I smile back and say "thank you." The nurse leaves and a few minutes later, my mom rushes in.

"Oh, Hazel! Thank the Lord it was nothing serious." She says as she hugs me. I smile.

"Me too mother. Sorry to worry you." I say. She holds my face in her hands and touches my forehead with hers.

"Oh Hazel, you have nothing to apologize about. Love has a way of doing things to us we don't even realize." She says as she lets go and smiles at me. My eyes go wide.

"L-l-l-love?" I stutter. I thought I fainted due to stress? She giggles.

"You can't hide it from me dear. I know when you start feeling upset or happy. That's just mother intuition." She says as she sits in the chair by the bed.

"That may be true, but..." I slowly start to speak but my words leave me. My mother pats my head.

"I know Hazel. You can't tell me who right now, but I know you will be able to soon." She says smiling. Tears fill up my eyes and I just let them run down my cheek like a waterfall. My mother stands up and hugs me. I just let the tears flow.

"Shhh. It's okay dear. No need for tears." Mother says. We let go and I give her a small smile.

"I guess I needed to cry." I say. Mother laughs.

"I guess so." She says. As soon as mother sits down, the door opens.

"Hello, sorry to disturb, but the doctor just gave notice that you can be released." The nurse from before says.