Chapter Eighteen

I couldn't do it. I couldn't talk to Asher. My mind is fuzzy from what happened with Jace. I sigh. He asks to kiss me, then acts like nothing is wrong when Alexa showed up. My heart still aches. Am I really that blind? Naïve? What is wrong with me?

Who am I kidding, being in love with a teacher? I know I shouldn't be, but every time I look at him, my heart feels full. I feel safe around him. I can actually be myself. He accepted me too. Then she showed up. He told me he has only been in love once, and it was with Alexa. I understand why. She's beautiful, charming, and very energetic. It seems like she could do anything. Who wouldn't want someone like that?

I roll over onto my side. I'm laying on my bed, thinking myself to death. It's about eight-thirty at night. I tried to act normal around mother and Asher, but I don't know how good I did. Since Asher is my twin, I know he can sense when something is off. I still have to talk to him, but I don't know if I can right now. I close my eyes tightly. I wish my heart would stop aching. I wish my mind would stop thinking. The pain is becoming too much to bear.

***

"Uh, Hazel? What's up with that outfit?" Paisley asks. I stare at her. We're standing at my locker. I just got here in fact. I'm wearing sweatpants and an anime sweater with my black sneakers.

"I woke up late, and I forgot to set out an outfit last night. This was all I could do." I say as I get my book out of my locker. She laughs.

"Whoa, I'm sorry. Was it because of yesterday? I'm really sorry you know. I hated keeping that from you. Beau and I just couldn't find the right time to tell you." She says. I close my locker and stare at her.

"You know, if you guys would have been straight with me from the beginning, I wouldn't have cared. I thought you two would be a cute couple. I only feel a little betrayed because you hid it from me." I say. She smiles.

"I know. I'm sorry. We will tell you everything later. Promise Hazelnuts." She says. I smile.

"Good. Let's go." I say as I start walking. Paisley grabs my arm and stops me. I raise my eyebrow.

"What is it?" I ask.

"There is no way I'm letting you wear that all day. Come." She says as she drags me to the bathroom.

"Hey! There is nothing wrong with this outfit! It's comfortable!" I say as she still drags me.

"Will you be quiet? You're attracting attention!" She says as she glares at me. My face turns red. I look around, and sure enough people are staring. As we turn a corner, my eyes go wide. Mr. Akira is talking to a student. I stop myself. Paisley looks at me.

"Hazel, we have to get to the bathroom!" She says. I look down.

"Mr. Akira is over there." I say quietly. She gets in my face.

"I thought you two were okay?" She asks. I shake my head no then look at her.

"Something happened yesterday. I couldn't talk to you about it because you were too busy making out with Beau!" I say. Paisley blushes. She looks away. I look down again.

"What do we have here?" My eyes go wide. Crap, I can't face him today!

"Oh, hi Mr. Akira. Um, Hazel and I were just having some girl talk." Paisley says. I still look down.