She took a slow, deep breath. “It was him, Veronica.”

Her eyebrows met. That waiter? How come?

Elaiza laughed. “I still can’t resist him.”

“You mean, the waiter?” she wrinkled her face even more, confused about what Elaiza was blabbing about.

She smiled. “Yes. He’s actually the chef. And he works at the hotel.”

“Why was he here?”

“I don’t know. He said they ran out of staff so he offered to come here. I didn’t want to see him. We’ve been over for a long time. I don’t know how it happened. I wasn’t even talking to him. But we ended up kissing. That was so stupid!–”

“Having fun, ladies?” a familiar voice said from behind.

They both turned their heads. Matt was standing a few feet away from them, his eyes filled with question.

“Cry baby, eh?”

She mouthed him ‘girl-talk’.

Matt came over to where they were seated and hugged his sister.

“You drank too much, lil sis.”

“Let’s go home, Matt.” She whined like a little kid.

Elaiza was asleep when they came home. Matt carried her into her room and dressed her into her pajamas.

I wish I could help you, Elaiza… she whispered to herself, looking through the small gap in the doorway. I wish I knew the answers to your questions. Because I’ve been searching for it for so long.

Veronica tucked Elaiza in, kissing her forehead before turning off the light.

When she closed the door, she saw Matt talking on the phone. She made her way to their room and quickly got ready for bed. Who was Matt talking to at this hour? Was it really that important? No matter how much she tried, she couldn’t fall asleep. The door suddenly opened and she pretended to be asleep. His phone abruptly rang. She heard him swearing before answering the call.

“Yes, yes.” He whispered as he walked to the bathroom. “I understand, Bianca. I’ll fix this.”

Veronica felt her emotions gather in her throat. So it was Bianca… Calling him at 2:30 in the morning? What was so important that she couldn’t wait till tomorrow? Was she jealous that he spent his night with his wife and not his mistress? Couldn’t Bianca just give her this night?

She felt a single tear sliding down her cheeks but she kept her eyes firmly closed. Matt lay down beside her. He kissed her forehead and then wrapped his arm around her waist.

Veronica wanted to push him away. She wanted to prove to him that she was okay without him. But she found herself squeezing into his body. Wanting to taste just a bit of love.

I love you, Matt… I love you so so much… her heart whispered before she finally fell asleep.

●●●

Veronica woke up to a delicious smell coming from the kitchen. She glanced at the clock and saw that it was already ten in the morning. She quickly got up, finding a bundle of roses beside her.

She found herself smiling. I hate you Matt! Her mind yelled.

Last night, she was angry at her husband. But after seeing the roses, she felt like she was on cloud nine. Where was her consistency about her emotions?

Veronica got ready to greet her husband in the kitchen. She took the flowers with her.

The table was ready when she got there. But Elaiza was the only one there.

“Good morning!” her tone was lively, despite her clear disappointment

Elaiza smiled. But there was sadness in her eyes.

“Hang-over?” she asked as she set the flowers down on the chair next to her.

“I wish. But don’t worry, Veronica. I’ll figure this out soon.”

“I’m just here. You know that, right?” she put her hands on Elaiza’s shoulders and gave them a strong squeeze.

Elaiza nodded and then smiled. Her face lit up when she saw that roses on the chair.

“Oh, that’s lovely!” she clapped.

“Yeah, very.” She took a vase and put the roses in it. “Where’s your brother? I just woke up with these.”

“Matt could be really sweet. Did you know that he’s never sent anyone flowers? Except you.. Oh well, you’re his wife. Silly me,” she rolled her eyes and grinned. “But knowing my brother, he lost his romantic side already, but I see it coming back now. How did you do it Veronica?”

Suddenly, she remembered about what happened the night before. The very intimate moment she shared with Matt. She felt her cheeks redden. Maybe that was what the flowers were for.

Veronica saw Elaiza’s meaningful smile. “You don’t have to tell me in details.” She winked.

“Do you want coffee?” she asked trying to hide her blushing face.

“Sure,”