Truth of the Stone

I wait anxiously for my brothers at the train station, outside on its steps. Riza and Roy sit near the car on a bench, watching me carefully, the surrounding area still of movement except for a few wives with strollers. Ed and Al had taken Winry home, after they had also been attacked from Scar and needed repairs. But it had been a few days, and i worried about them, even with the glorious Armstrong powers accompanying them.

Walking through the doors, are my brothers and a Mr. Armstrong, to whom I salute, before rushing to hug Ed and Al. "I was worried. Tell me everything. I have my journal in the car." I pull on Ed's hand, like I had as a child, but feel resistance. Turning to look, his face is drawn to a close, the same broken hearted look from when Mom died. "What did Dr. Marcoh say, brother?"

"Miss Elric, perhaps we should take this conversation to a less remote location." Armstrong says, his face saddened, and i know its directed toward the boys. We walk together, me behind them, as they head to Riza's car. I turn to Roy, my eyes asking for a favor.

"We'll meet you at the apartment. I have to grab some stuff from the office, and we won't all fit in Riza's car." I say, atanding besides Roy, my thumbs looped into the belt beltloops of my skinny jeans. Ed looks at me funny, trying to read me, but i give him a smile. "Happy you're back, Ed. I'll meet you there."

"Okay, then..." Ed is reluctant, but he slides into the backseat beside Al, as Armstrong and Riza head into the front. I let out the breath I was holding as Roy and i get into his car, heading for Central.

We are quiet up until we reach the office, where we have limited communication. I spend the time prepping and trying not to picture the moster we had turned our mother into. On the way to the apartment, I flip through pages of my Philosopher stone notes, trying to find the missing piece. The car stops, and i reach for the door handle, looking up.

"Mustang... this isn't the apartment..."

"Tell me what's wrong, Emma. No lying either." I grit my teeth, trying not to swear to my commanding officer, cursing him mentally for knowing me so well.

"It was his face. He hasn't looked like that since our human transmutation backfired... and his thoughts. He had them locked away where i can't reach them." I didnt even care that I had let the big secret out. "He looked how he did when our mom died."

Roy is silent, taking all of this in. "His thoughts?"

I nod. "Its something I've kept secret for a while. When we saw the Truth, it messed with my genetics. It changed them. Now I can read peoples emotions, hear what they feel or think about things. You, Riza, and Ed all have these little lock boxes in your heads that you push away to the back." I laugh as his face becomes mortified. "What? Know what you're hiding from yourself and others?"

I grin, cheekily towards him, as he begins to drive again. "Maybe what he heard was so good, and private, he didn't want anyone to hear."

"My brother isn't like that. He usually has trouble keeping his mouth shut. Unless it involves people who are important to him, or life and death." I say, my shoulders slumping again. I fiddle with the sleeves of my shirt as we pull in front of the apartment, and begin up the stairs to the third floor.

Inside the door, we find all four of them sitting over a cup of tea, two floor pillows left open beside each other for the two of us. I sit in the one next to Ed, watching him carefully.

"We know how to make a Philosopher Stone." Al begins, and i look at them eagerly, but no one continues.

"Does this mean we can get our bodies back?" I ask, ready as I could ever be. But not for this.