Recovery

My blue walls remind me of the river that flowed near my childhood home. The freeness of it, power filling the waves that crash against the shoreline. It submerges me with relief. The waves rolling against me, its wildness pouring me into calmness.

"Em?" A small voice speaks from my door, and i turn my head, snapping away from my reverie, my own tired eyes finding big ones that are always hungry. Her hair is tied back into a ponytail, two small strands still falling in front of her face, a black and white outfit framing her skinny form.

"Hiya Winry." I say, a cheeky grin on my face. She walks towards me, smiling. She doesn't yell at me like she would Ed - 'speaking of which, where are my brothers?' I look at the door behind her, waiting to see them.

"I went to the office. I was sure you'd be there." My smile falters as she places down her backpack, the bits of metal clanking together. Her steps are light, her face clear of anything but happiness upon seeing me.

I swallow, unprepared for Winry's reaction when I tell her what my brothers hadn't. "Winry, I've been put on bed rest for three days now." Her eyes narrow as she looks at me. "Someone has been hunting state alchemists, and they came after me. They hit my automail."

I dont have to finish, for she comes over and pulls the blanket down. Her face goes white as she looks at her masterpiece. Her eyes glint with something else now, and i fear for the grumpy man myself as she yells. "Colonel Mustang!!" I hear a clamoring of footsteps, a few muttered curse words as the black haired man with stern set eyes arrives in the doorway, looking to me for some kind of pain. But the meds the Doctor provided me with are really doing it.

"Ed and Al mentioned you were on house arrest here. So at this moment, you're going to help me." Roy steps forward, eyeing the mechanic in front of him with wary eyes. "It doesn't matter what kind of meds or how much of it she's on. When I begin to remove her arm - after the stress the nerves have been through - she will feel all of it. Shes going to kick and scream. But I need her as still as i can have her." She reaches and grip my arm, my face whitens. "Hold her down."

~timeskip~

Two days later, Winry attaches a new arm to me, and adjusts my leg for height changes. Riza forces me to eat, but then I'm on the roof with my brothers, sparring.

Ed was a good fighter, but he's never beat Al, and neither have beaten me. I use alchemy to make the floor slick, waves crashing against our feet. A dance of violence being held. I catch glimpse of Roy and Winry talking, and a flash of jealousy reaches my brain cells.

Using my abilities, I reach out my mind, finding nothing but casual thoughts in both of their heads, but am brought back to the fight when Ed's fist makes contact against my new automail. Clenching the fingers and shaking it out, the familiar burn of new automail seeps its way into my skin.

"Em, I'm so-" i kick him in the face, knocking him backwards and causing him to pout over his moment of concern.

"I think I found the reason you two have never beat me." I say, turning to the onslaught on its way from Al. Spinning out of his reach, i flip over him, crashing my feet into his back and sending him skidding away from me. Right onto Ed as he attempts to stand. "You both worry too much."

I smile at them, using alchemy to clear a path for Roy to walk through my sea. He comes to stand by me, Winry hurrying to help Ed up. "You have a good relationship with them." His voice is soft, gentle. It startles me, my eyes wide as I take in his almost-kind features.

"Well, they are my brothers." I say, fondness over the two boys reaching my voice. A small smile fits itself onto my otherwise stone face, remembering the little moments with them, as i watch Winry scold them.