Dinner for Five

Emma's P.O.V

The bathroom was calm, illuminated lightly by candles i had lit for this time i had alone. Being let off early, i had called a Doctor for ways to help burns heal. She had recommended bathing, in warm water, for at least an hour. Riza had taken me home, left me to do my business, making me lock each lock before getting in the tub. Only I had forgotten clothes.

Being alone in the apartment, I was unworried, yet for some reason I felt as if another presence was here. And if I had to be attacked by the man dubbed Scar, I wanted to be fully clothed and ready for a fight. Yet I was stuck, standing in front of the mirror, looking at myself fully for the first time in such a long time.

Looking back at me was a growing girl, with curves that seemed only more outlined by the muscles that toned my skinny and small frame. Taking in the abs beginning to show on my midriff, I feel the coldness of my automail skimming against the skin as I methodically trace them, reminding me even more that I was not attractive to boys. Despite having never worried about it before, there were reasons even I hadn't recognized for why I hid my leg and arm. I was proud to be one of Winry's best customers, proud of the body she had helped me create. But I missed the feeling of my own skin, my own body. Something felt missing, always.

As my eyes trailed upward, my face came into view. First, the jawline that was too stern at times yet too soft to belong to anyone but me. Then, a mouth that could snap orders, gush about cute babies and animals, hide emotions, and fit a whole slice of pizza into. I find a button nose, with the smallest of points at the end. Fourthly, eyes that shone brighter than they used too, yet held more secrets, speckles filling spaces where there used to be nothing. These eyes had seen too much already, and they would see much more, but they still shied away from death... from murder. Finally, i found a head full of hair that sunk low down my back, hiding a majority of the bruises that had filled my face none too kindly.

I shudder as I tie the towel around me, coldness seeping from the automail to my skin. I open the door, continuing to dry my hair with another towel, only to come face to face with Roy Mustang,  three steps towards my room. I stare at him, as he stares at me.

Incredulously, I find myself blushing, flustering under his gaze. He seems to take in my entire being at once, but I could tell that his gaze would slowly move down towards my cleavage, to my for once covered belly, to my two identiy crisis legs. One metal, one real. 'This cant be happening right now. Roy Mustang is here, and is he checking me out?'

"I'm so sorry, i thought you would be coming with Riza." I flush, rushing through my sentences as I try to sprint by him into my room, but we continues to try to dance around each other.

"No, no. I should have stayed in the living room. I was just looking for the restroom." His face flushes, as he tries to step around me. After another moment,  his hands grab my shoulders, and the weight of his hand on my automail socket freezes my expression in place.

I watch him as he turns us around. His face stays gentle and kind, yet stern as always. He doesnt flinch in response to my automail, but I could only imagine the real feeling he is having, the freaked out emotions taking control of him. And I bolt, out of fear, before either of us could say another word. I bolt to my room, quickly telling him "sorry" again, and closing my door, sinking down it.

I could feel the stinging tears begin to swell up to my eyes, but I blink them away. Trying to keep my thoughts to myself while digging for his own.

'There is no way that Roy, mother fucking Roy Mustang, would find me and my automail attractive. Just no way that is humanly possible. Not with all the girls and whores hes been with before. I'm three years younger than him, a broken record playing over and over again."

And i break slightly, wishing again that I could be a normal girl, who could gush over boys and clothes. I dress quickly, attempting to put it all behind me, pulling on everything but shoes and my jacket, before stepping to the door, where i now knew who was behind. My brothers, Riza, and... Roy.

Riza and I begin chopping vegetables from the market, a task we enjoyed. My time here with her had taught me the simple things my mother was unable to teach, but reminded me if her all the same. Which, while it made my spirits high, crushed my heart to my stomach. Ed was going over the notes I had made last night, comparing them to his own, speaking quietly to himself. Al and Roy were speaking in the living room, about some sort of alchemy that Scar used.

"What's this about a Philosopher stone, Em?" His voice is curious, reading out of a book I had bought, the markings and notes scribbled along the pages edges. I know he doesn't want me to answer, so I turn quickly, pausing in the cutting ritual, and turn the page. Giving him the answer. Turning back, Riza and I finish, and she allows me to go sit with Ed.

"I think its what we were missing when... you know." I mutter, my voice quiet, though as Al's conversation stops, I know that they can all hear. "And i think its the key to getting Al's body back."

"No one knows anything about the Philosophers stone, though." Al says from his place on the couch, and i look up from the table to him, smiling slightly.

"Armstrong gave me some ideas on where to look. More specifically for when you two go get Winry next week for our Automail checkup." I say, becoming shy as I think of earlier with my automail.

Ed looks to Mustang now, who is attempting to look cool sitting on a blue and purple floor pillow, one of my favorites. "Why cant Em come with us to see Winry? It'd save Winry a trip."

"Fullwater has to stay here at the office, Fullmetal. Its her duty." I roll my eyes, looking to Riza who had a small, secretive smile on her face.

Ed looks glum, annoyed that his twin can never go on missions with him. "Its okay Ed. Not as if I need any more action right now, right?" Motioning to th burns, bruises, and some cuts that had revealed themselves to me when I bathed, I give him a fake smile. Feeling more reassured, he dives into the notes again. I stand, pulling up my sleeves, in order to help Riza with the chicken. My real arm cringes away from the dead meat, its slimy feeling disgusting me to the bone, and for once I am grateful for the metal arm.

When I turn around, I see Roy staring at my bare arms, no longer covered, as they werent earlier. His cheeks are white, his face flush as he takes in the bruises, yet his jaw is stern. I reach out with my ability, searching for answers to his weirdness, yet find none. I cover my arms, my eyes moving to the floor.

~timeskip~

We ate silently, the only sound is chewing, and the noises of Al playing with Riza's small dog. Ed clears his throat. "So Mustang, have you been on any dates recently?" The rest of us almost choke at his question, and i look to Roy for a facial expression, but instead of finding the expected anger, i find shock. Shock of the fifteen year old boy saying it to a superior office, mine nonetheless, and i cannot help but will for Roy not to answer.

"No. And I've had to cancel the next one. I'll be here with Hawkeye and your sister." He doesnt look at me, letting his guard strengthen more. I sigh, moving my food around in the bowl. Ed nods, and i catch the orbs of Al's eyes, as he watches me, trying to figure too much out at once. 

This was maybe a more embarrassing moment then Roy seeing me in just a towel.