Resentment

When we return to work the next day, I notice the looks of sympathy I receive and the congratulations Roy gets, though the good wishes seem half-hearted and most couldn't meet his eyes. I ignore them, still curious on why he hadn't said a word to me. I remain in the office the whole day, trying to avoid everyone's looks.

By lunch, the looks are unbearable, and I think that this day is never going to end. I stay in the office, only grunting slightly as Riza asks if I want anything. I stare at the paperwork in front of me, almost finished.

But scream as I find a report on the execution of Ltn. Ross carried out and performed by none other than Con. Roy Mustang.

Someone bursts in the door, as my scream fades, shock filling my face. Suddenly, the room is too warm, and the concerned faces in front of me were blurred. Pushing out my chair, I find myself running down the stairs, finding Mustang and Riza talking together in hushed voices. I walk up to them, tear stains clear on my face, and their eyebrows pull together with concern.

Shaking, I hand the dark haired man the report, and his face falls. "Emma, wait!"

"Emma!"

Riza calls after me, catching glimpse of the report, as Mustang tries to grab at my arm. But I'm out into the streets before they could even blink. When I'm sire I'm far enough away, I bend over, about to retch, but without anything in my system, I am just gasping for air while gagging.

"Ma'am, are you okay?" A voice asks me, I only nod before pushing by them, walking the rest of the way home.

~timeskip~

When the door opens, welcoming my roommates into the apartment, my door is locked, and I am curled up, holding a pillow to my chest, feeling as if I still needed to vomit. The know jiggles a few times, before being abandoned.

I stare at my nightstand, with more recent pictures flooding it, while Ed and Al flooded the one behind me. I find pictures of Riza and I from last Christmas, photos that Havok had gotten of us and Riza. Plus ones that the boys from the office had taken.

And then one of Roy and I, looking over a document together at the kitchen counter. I pick up the frame, examining us as if we're a puzzle piece. Our arms pressed against each other, both of us with furrowed eyebrows, my eyes intent on the paper as I point to a key piece of the wording.

~Flashback~

"Look, see that part?" Roy catches my attention, taking me away from the balls of melons I was creating. I hear the hushed voices of Riza and Havok, but my focus was on Roy's words as he began reading.

"'I examine subject b37 with caution, riddled by the decision and order I have been given - as done with every subject. Extracting blood of this man didn't work this time.'" Roy shows me, I scan the paperwork for the umpteenth time. "Marcoh was trying to find an alternate way."

I point, stratching my arm across his bicep, allowing my side to fully touch his as I lean towards the paper. "But the dates too late, this from right before he left. We need more data, maybe we'll see something he missed."

Roy groans, frustrated for me, before heading to the table to look through my notes. Scattered scribbles through the books Cheska had copied down for us, a notebook filled with articles and notes of strange events. Suspicion had begun growing in Roy that the Philosopher's stone dug deeper into the military then we thought.

Ever since Kimblee...

~~

And now he's killing our friends, Hughe's crew. A knock sounds again, and I get up my feet soft against the floor, placing the photo back where it had been.

Black hair greets me, his head bent over in frustration. His emotions hit me like the train, and I struggle to put a block up, not wanting to get distracted by my own feelings. As he realizes that the door is open, his knock no longer useful, he looks up at me, his dark eyes meeting my blue-gray ones.

I cross my arms, waiting.

"Emma, you gotta understand, I need you to-"

"No." His words stop, his sadness and regret hitting me now. "I trusted you to do the right thing. I don't need to do anything, I'm not a dog in your war right now, I am a person, one with feelings and morals." I pause for a moment, watching his eyes search my face. "You killed her."

"I didnt."

"I saw the report, Mustang." He looks at me incredulously. "You burned her."

"I burned a corpse. I helped Ross get away. She's heading East to learn more about the fall of Ishval, and the type of alchemy they use in Xing."

I stare at him, weighing the weight of his emotions, of the words he's saying. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"I couldn't bring myself to hurt you."

A new emotion welcomes itself into the mix, and I find myself even more confused then before. "Emma, I hurt myself when I hurt you. Its.. unbearable to see you in pain or upset."

I falter at his words, thinking deeply as I look into his eyes. I feel the anger seeping out of me, my resentment of his supposed actions slowly turning into a soft looks. Softer emotions. He stands there, watching me take in his appearance, worry and sadness seeping throughout his soul.

I shake my head, trying to clear it of the thoughts I could never share. "Dont lie to me again. Just tell me, if this happens again." My eyes had moved to the ground, and when I look up, I find his eyes looking at our picture on my bedside.

Happiness floods his person, filling him as if he was a crystal glass, pristine water flowing into it steadily. He seems fuller, complete, happier.

His eyes find mine, fondness soaking up the rest of the light in his eyes as his pupils soak up any other color. He nods once, giving me a small smile, walking away.

Closing my door, I breathe deeply, sliding to the floor, feeling like a normal teenager for the first time in a long time.

"Im falling for Roy Mustang. And I he might be falling for me."

~~~

Hey y'all. Sorry about the infrequent updates.  thus chapter and the next I've rewritten about 34 times each - haha 😬. But here we go! Hopefully it'll be more frequent updating from here on out.