009

now playing

now playing..

"Brown Eyed Girl"
-VAN MORRISON

-

         "Do you really have to watch me eat?" You threw a fry at the Brit sitting across from you, hitting his suit jacket.

     "Henry, you better get your employee. She's behaving awfully." He crossed his arms, his slightly playful manner receiving a chuckle from Henry.

"Says the guy that was telling me I suck at my job." You shoved a few fries into your mouth, finishing up your meal.

   The waitress slid the check to the middle of the table, Will's hands sliding it to his side of the table. "These prices are going to be the death of me." He places the money on the table before getting up out of the booth.

The crisp air hit your face, the windy weather causing your hair to go just about every which way.

     William pulled out a cig and tried lighting it, the wind taking out the flame every time. You placed a hand to shield the cancer stick, setting it on fire finally.

  "Dumbass."

"Yeah, yeah, thanks." He took a drag of the cigarette, staring off into the roads with cars flying down them.

      You glanced over to Henry, his slender fingers wrapped around the edges of his jacket. His nose and cheeks had a hint of red because of how chilly it was.

It being October, the cold weather was starting to kick in hard. More specifically, it was October 25th, meaning Halloween was coming up.

     "You should wear that jacket more often, it suits you." Henry said, his slightly shaky lips formed into a smile.

  "Thanks. It was stupidly overpriced but Audrey convinced me to buy it." A chuckle left your lips as you rubbed your finger over your Jean jacket that sat nicely over a thin hoodie. You had a few pins stuck into the denim above the chest pocket.

        Henry's hair looked like a mess from the wind, the light brown color mixing in with a bit of grey. You could almost laugh, as he wasn't that old at all, but owning a restaurant for children certainly gives you a few greys.

       He ran his fingers through his hair, letting out a  quick sigh as he watched the cars pass. He's definitely an attractive man, even his imperfections seemingly perfect.

   "You done killing your lungs?" You turned towards Will. He chuckled and threw the cig on the ground before smothering it with his shoe.

  "For now." He responded, heading towards his car. It was a Friday and Henry decided to convince Will to take you three out to eat.

   "Where we headed?" You asked, slouching into the backseat of Will's purple car, the interior almost spotless of any dust or dirt.

  "Well, Lora's watching the kids so I don't really care." William said, focusing on backing out of the diner parking lot.

   "We could stop by a pub?" Will suggested. "I'm only eighteen." You reminded, raising an eyebrow. "Oh. Right." William mumbled. "That's a disappointment."

•———•

    You could see your breath in the air, your feet strolling next to the men beside you.

"So then Lora just snaps because I didn't do the bloody dishes! I'm a busy man!" Will's tone is that of a man who's clearly tired of his wife.

  You shifted awkwardly as you listened to two men rant about their wives, Will being a tad more  aggressive.

"I realize how awkward this must be for you, I'm really sorry." Henry apologized. "Oh, no it's fine." You reassured, before nearly falling on your face—looking up to see a smug grin on that of Will's face. His hand rested on your lower back, before playfully shoving you back up.

  "I should've let you fall. It would've been rather funny." He snorted as you apologized, getting back on your feet before continuing to walk.

    Though you noticed something for a small moment, yet it didn't quite seem to be a very large change.

   That hazel, chestnut color wasn't the same. It could've been the lighting, sure, but you certainly could tell that he wasn't laughing.

•———•

   Approaching the familiar purple car once more, you watched as Will took out another cigarette and lit it with his lighter—a zippo with a card design on it. Ace of spades.

  "You're killing yourself." You snorted, his azure eyes looking down at you. "Oh ha ha, you think I don't know that?"

   "Oh, please. Kill yourself faster, why don't you." Will let out a laugh at your joke that was almost said like a statement. "Well, now I want to stay alive just to spite you."

   "Oh, what a horrendous fate." You dramatically said. "That'd be rather annoying."

  "I'm gonna come back after death just to get on your nerves." He snickered before taking a drag of the cigarette.

  "It's so cold." Henry muttered out. "I'll wait for you guys in the car." He made his towards the vehicle at a faster pace before stepping inside the passenger side.

  You picked up on something, something small. You felt thankful for your keen eye as you searched, yet nothing found. It baffled you, but you came to the conclusion quickly in the window of a few seconds you had.

Henry's wedding band was nowhere to be found on either of his hands.