Chapter 39 (34th of Earonitan in the year 6200)

When light and dark stand so stark and so clear

In the time of choosing and consumed by fear.

Two shall stand, but one shall fall upon the spear.

Which will it be?

Tell me, dear?

The Cleric?

Or the Seer?

Last Prophecy of Denera Matir

Hurled apart after coming together yet again, the embodiments of light and dark, newly risen cleric and fallen angel, stared at one another in anticipation of their next confrontation

Hurled apart after coming together yet again, the embodiments of light and dark, newly risen cleric and fallen angel, stared at one another in anticipation of their next confrontation. The berth given by all others at the mountain was now twice as large as before. None from the throngs surrounding them dared intervene in this contest. Even the undead, once so eager to assail the cleric, remained at a distance and found other prey.

Legs wobbling beneath them, both Daphney and Noranda reeled in the aftermath of the latest conflagration—an explosive detonation that tore a gash in the stone of the mountain between them. Trying not to show weakness, each trembled in the wake of strength unleashed from diametric ends of the cosmic spectrum.

Lady Noranda flexed the fingers on her scarred hand, tingling with pins and needles from the brunt of the last attack. Her grotesque face bearing the unhealed burns of their previous encounter now laid bare under the darkened sky.

Daphney stretched out a painful ache in her spine. One earned from a previous bad landing during the ongoing and contentious feud between good and evil.

Undaunted by what both women saw as minor inconveniences, each sought to impose their will on one another again. And again, as they came together, they canceled each other out just as before. Once more pushing each other back as their convergence exploded upon meeting head on.

Both women took a knee after skidding to a halt, but neither stayed down for long. Despite scrapes and scratches formed from the friction of skin on stone, sheer force of will demanded they continue in battle. No matter how many times it ended in a stalemate. To anyone else, what they did probably seemed like the very definition of insanity. Over and over, hurling themselves at one another with the same unyielding results.