Chapter 31 (28th of Earonitan in the year 6200)

There is no greater sacrifice than spilling one's own blood for the lives of others

Carmon Dagarth, Blood Lord

"They're a lot bigger than I thought

"They're a lot bigger than I thought." Sitting in the saddle of her horse, Sheala stood gawking at the sudden transition from the foothills to the mountains they'd been seeking.

The evolution of the landscape to sheer faces and peaks towering overhead was more than a little jarring to her senses. Each wall of stone stood as what seemed to be a steep and difficult climb unless a more straightforward path could be found through the seemingly impenetrable terrain.

"They're mountains," Brentai said. "What did you expect?"

"I don't know." There was a certain whine to Sheala's voice as she waved her hands at them. "Something less mountainy, I guess."

Korg let out a snorting laugh, which drew a sour gaze from Sheala in response.

Sayra dismounted her gelding to give the situation all due consideration, her horse remaining calm despite lacking a rider. "There's a reason why the shrine built to house the Tear of Earoni was constructed here," she said mater-of-factly.

"So what's so tough about finding this temple? Can't a dragon just fly over and spot it from the air?"

"All is not as it seems." the silver-haired elf explained, looking naked without her usual blue-scaled companion on her shoulder. "There is a spell over this land. A powerful and protective illusion. One that required many elven mages to construct and complete. One not only capable of hiding that which should be seen but also one with the power to make the mind believe the hallucination by twisting and fooling the other senses as well."

Sayra approached the formidable impediment to the continuation of their journey.

"I don't understand," Sheala griped.

"It's really quite simple. With a standard illusion, if one sees a rock where there isn't any," Sayra said, "and one would move to pick it up, there would be no sense of touch to confirm the rock's existence. The deception would be discovered upon attempting to retrieve the item." Reaching out her hand, the elf touched a wall of stone containing various layers and shades of gray and brown before her. "But here, that which is not real is given substance. I can feel the grain and the coarseness of these rocks even though they are not truly before me."