Chapter 37 (34th of Earonitan in the year 6200)

To save the world takes more than a change of heart

To save the world takes more than a change of heart. It takes a change of action.

Dwarven Proverb

"Cass?" Shaking her unconscious twin, Sheala pleaded for some sign, any at all, that her sister heard her

"Cass?" Shaking her unconscious twin, Sheala pleaded for some sign, any at all, that her sister heard her. "Cass, please wake up. Please?"

Brentai cleared his throat before adding his objection. "I honestly do not see the wisdom in this."

He'd already disarmed the woman he now saw as their prisoner, leaving the general without her swords or her pistol. The latter especially so and after seeing what the unusual and unique weapon had done to Korg. Discarded, they rested at a safe distance and clear on the other side of the room beneath one of the otaur statues.

"She's my sister," Sheala reminded him. As though it wasn't obvious just from the identical redness of their hair and facial features.

"Yes, and right now she's your unconscious sister." Brentai folded his arms across his chest. "Which, if you ask me, is the way I prefer to keep it."

"Well, I didn't ask you," Sheala snapped.

"Her head wound is completely healed." The Oracle's first mate called attention to the conspicuous fact that everyone was well aware of. Even though it had been discussed several times already, he felt compelled to bring it up once more. Seeing the troublesome matter as important. "That's not natural. Other than clerics, the only creatures I've heard of that can heal like that are Blood Lords. Did you forget about that dwarf? The one tainted with the Crimson Plague that attacked us in the mountains?"

"I remember what Gregory did in sacrificing himself for us, if that's what you mean." The roll to Sheala's eyes, while unseen, could be heard through her tone. "And my sister's not a vampire."

"She serves one." Determined to not give up, Brentai pressed his argument, wishing someone would side with him. "How can we be certain he hasn't turned her into what he is? I mean, I'm no expert, I admit. However, like I said, I've never heard of any other creature that can do what she just did. I say, let her lay nice and peaceful like until we get our hands on the Tear. Then we can sort all this out and you and her can reconcile your differences."