Chapter Thirty One

Start from the beginning

I didn't stick around to see if anyone else was around. I kept my head towards the ground, walking the path I knew by heart.

I could hear footsteps behind me.

They grew nearer and stopped beside me.

"Harley?! Oh God. Where are you going?"

I looked up at him, tears streaming

down my face. "I can't be in there Jon. Everybody knows. I don't know how they know but they do. If they know, everybody must know. Oh my God. Her parents must hate me. I'm the reason their daughters dead."

He placed both hands on my shoulders. "Look. Remember what Detective Lambert said. It's not your fault. It was nothing you did. Apparently Mr. Killian was sick and must have been for a while. Finally he decided to act on his delusion. Unfortunately, you were a part of it. But that in no way makes it your fault."

He placed his arm around me and guided me as we began walking again.

"Hey. Why don't we go to your mom's store and get something to eat, okay? Maybe you'll feel better."

I nodded, sniffling. "Yeah. I need to see my mom."

So that's what we did. We walked in silence, with the occasional sniffle from me.

We reached my mom's bakery within fifteen minutes.

The bell rang as we entered. No one looked up, which I was grateful for.

We headed to the counter where a smiling Elisa stood.

"Hey!" She greeted before frowning. "Oh Harley, what happened?"

As she said my name, the whispers began again.

Just as I could in school, I could feel eyes on me as everything went quiet.

"I need to talk to my mom. Is she back there?"

"Why don't you wait in her office while I get her?"

I nodded before walking to my mom's office in the back, followed by Jon.

In no time, my mom rushed inside.

"Oh honey," she said, upon seeing my face that still held the remnants of the tears I'd shed.

She immediately pulled me into a hug.

"I just heard. I can't believe it. He seemed like such a nice man."

"We all thought the same Mrs. Masterson. I mean Avril."

"I'm so sorry you've had to deal with this sweetheart. Why don't I take the rest of the day off? The girls will be alright without me today. I'll call into your school and you can have the day off. Does that sound good?"

I nodded. "What about Jon?"

She wasn't his guardian. I'm not sure they'll allow her to call in for him.

"I'm his emergency contact. He can spend the day with us. Okay?"

Again I nodded. "Okay."

"Alright. I'm just going to let the girls know I'm taking the day off. I'll be right back."

She released me, heading out, and the embrace was quickly replaced by Jon, who sat us down on the loveseat.

No words were spoken as we waited for my mom to return.

Which she did withing five minutes.

"Alright. You kids ready?"

"I think we should go out the back."