Chapter Twenty One

It's wrong for parents to bury their children. It should be the other way around. - Rose Kennedy

The school hallway was eerily quiet as I made my way towards the auditorium, my heart pounding with a mixture of excitement and nervousness.

Jon had already left for basketball practice, leaving me to help out with auditions on my own.

As I approached the dimly lit corridor that led to the auditorium, a sudden hand shot out from the shadows, grabbing me tightly.

I let out a muffled gasp as I was yanked into a nearby room, darkness enveloping us both.

I never expected my day to take such a dark turn.

As I stood in the dimly lit room, facing Damon, the new kid at school who I had tried to befriend but ended up having an argument with, I felt a surge of adrenaline mixed with confusion and anger.

"Why did you grab me like that?" I demanded, my voice laced with a mixture of fear and frustration.

Damon looked up at me, his eyes reflecting genuine remorse. "I'm sorry, Harley. I didn't mean to scare you. I just wanted to talk."

His words caught me off guard. Despite our disagreement earlier that day, there was something in Damon's eyes that made me hesitate. Maybe it was the vulnerability hidden beneath his tough exterior or the sincerity in his voice.

"Why did you grab me like that?" I demanded, my voice laced with a mixture of fear and frustration.

Damon looked up at me, his eyes reflecting genuine remorse. "I'm sorry, Harley. I didn't mean to scare you. I just wanted to talk."

His words caught me off guard. Despite our disagreement earlier that day, there was something in Damon's eyes that made me hesitate. Maybe it was the vulnerability hidden beneath his tough exterior or the sincerity in his voice.

As quickly as it came, it was gone.

I felt a surge of anger rising within me at his words. How could he not realize how dangerous it was to grab someone in such a manner? Especially in a town where girls had been disappearing without a trace.

"Talking doesn't involve grabbing someone from behind and dragging them into a dark room," I snapped, my hands clenched into fists at my sides.

Damon winced at my words, his shoulders slumping in defeat. "I know, I messed up," he muttered softly. "I just...wanted to apologize for our argument earlier. I didn't mean for things to escalate like they did."

A faint smile tugged at Damon's lips as relief washed over his features.

The fluorescent lights buzzed overhead as I sat across from Damon in the empty classroom, his eyes filled with a mix of guilt and apprehension. Jon, my best friend, had reluctantly left us alone to sort things out after our heated argument earlier that day.

I leaned forward, my voice low and steady. "Oh okay. Now, why did you pull me in here?"

Damon shifted uncomfortably in his seat before finally meeting my gaze. "I wanted to explain."

My frustration bubbled beneath the surface as I pressed him for answers. "Explain what exactly? How I went out of my way to make you feel welcome, which I never do. Only for you to throw it back in my face and say you never considered us friends."

He looked down at his hands, fidgeting with the hem of his shirt. "You're right. You're right. I lied when I said I didn't consider you a friend."

I couldn't help but feel a pang of hurt at his admission. "But why? Does it have something to do with Kirsty? Is that why you were arguing? Is that why she slapped you?"