Chapter Thirty One

Life has a way of testing a person's will, either by having nothing happen at all or by having everything happen all at once. - Unknown

Walking down the halls of Willow Creek Institute, it felt as though all eyes were on Jon and I.

Probably because they were.

Everyone was huddled together in their little groups, whispering and glancing back at me.

"What's that about?" Jon whispered.

The further we walked inside, the more eyes I felt.

"I have no idea. Maybe they found out about me going to the station again. They probably think they questioned me about Miranda's murder again."

It's the only reason I could think of for all the looks. The first time I was called in, somehow everyone found out by the next day.

Ignoring the whispers and stares, Jon and I headed to our lockers, only to find Kirsty and her posse blocking them, talking amongst themselves.

What were they even doing here? Their lockers were nowhere near here.

I huffed. "Excuse me. You're blocking my locker."

They continued talking, completely ignoring me.

"I said, excuse me."

Oh God. Now I'm starting to sound like Vickie Guerrero.

"Breathe," Jon told me, placing a hand on my shoulder.

I could see one of her minions trying to hide a smile, so I know they heard me. Now they're just trying to piss me off.

I rolled my eyes before body checking her.

"Ugh. Excuse you." Kirsty's annoying shrill voice sounded.

"No. Excuse you. I was being polite about it, but you're pushing it. What are you doing here anyway? None of your lockers are in this hallway."

"Oh. You didn't hear?"

"Obviously not, if I'm asking." I rolled my eyes again.

She smirked. "Heard you were called down to the station again yesterday."

"And so?"

"So, a little birdie overheard that Mr. Killian's death was a suicide. And that he confessed to Miranda's murder."

"Okay."

I'm not entirely sure who found out, but judging by the smirk on one of Kirsty's cronies face, it could have been her.

"That's not all. Apparently, somewhere in the letter, he admitted that he did it for you. He killed Miranda because of you. You're the reason she's dead."

The more she spoke, the more I was brought back to yesterday, when these exact words were running through my head.

But, that's it, it's out there and now everyone knows.

I looked around, seeing all eyes on us.

Next I looked at Jon, eyes wide.

"I can't be here. I-I can't..."

Without waiting for an answer, I walked in the same direction, heading for the exit.

"Harley! Harley!" I could hear my name being called, but all I could focus on was getting out of here.

Keeping my head down, I pushed my way through the hoard of students, breaking into a sprint.

Slamming my body against the door, it opened, and finally I could breathe again. At least better than before.