Chapter Twenty Five

It has been said 'time heals all wounds.' I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them within scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. - Rose Kennedy

A/N: In honour of Nancy Drew season two, here's a double update after an unfortunate hiatus. Hope everyone is safe and well. 

Walking up to school Monday morning, everything appeared perfectly normal. That is until we got inside.

Clusters of students huddled together, whispering and glancing into the main office.

Now, this may not be out of the ordinary to many, but these clusters of groups are usually not caught in the same general area, unless it's lunchtime in the cafeteria or the outdoor seating area, or being in the same classes.

"What do you suppose that's all about?" I asked.

"I have no idea," he said as we approached the crowd, following suit, looking into the office.

Again nothing was out of the ordinary. All the secretaries sat at their desks, conversing amongst one another.

"It's probably nothing." I said, prepared to walk away. Only as Jon and I moved to do so, the door to the principal's office opened.

At first I thought it was a student. But then I realized school hadn't begun yet. Who could get into trouble this early?

My questions were answered as the principal emerged from his office, followed not by a student, but by two SRO's. Student resource officers.

"Why are the police here? Do you think they have an update in Miranda's case?" I asked.

"I have no idea. We'll just have to wait and find out. If it's important, they'll probably make an announcement over the P.A some time today."

I nodded. "Yeah. You're right." I looked up at the clock. "We still have about fifteen minutes before class starts. What do you want to do?"

He shrugged. "I need to get something from my locker."

"Okay."

With that, we left the crowded foyer, still oblivious to what the commotion was about.

We quickly made a pit stop at our lockers before heading downstairs to the entry hall, but instead of going out the exit, we entered the second hallway, where Jon's first period was located.

"I can't stop myself from thinking about why those cops were here." I said, literally bouncing.

Jon placed a hand on my shoulder. "I'm sure we'll find out soon."

Just then the crackling of the P.A system sounded.

"Attention! Attention! This is Principal Mackenna. I know by now many of you are questioning why there are police present on the grounds this morning. All questions will be answered promptly. Now, will all students please report to the gymnasium for a very important assembly. That is all. Thank you."

I turned to Jon. "Huh. I wonder what this is all about."

"The plot thickens. Dun. Dun. Dun."

I playfully shoved him. "You're ridiculous. Whatever. Let's head to the gym so we can get good seats and find out what the heck is going on."

Following my advice, we begrudgingly climbed the stairs we'd just descended.

Upstairs was a hoard of students, all making their way down the hallway presumably towards the gym as had been requested.

Walking past the main office for the second time that day, I looked through the windows that overlooked the courtyard and some of the downstairs classrooms. On the other side from where we stood, more students could be seen heading in the direction of the gym.