Chapter Twenty-One

Durpner

Hey," Ruby says, her voice slightly softening, "Don't worry. I don't... I don't kill my kind. That chingle, though, he is welcome to worry." her voice suddenly hardens. "What's your name?" I try to say something, but being tied to a chair, alone in a room with a murderer, does not make it easy. "What? You'll answer me," she spits. "Or you'll be the first vampire to die." I shrug. She narrows her eyes. They glitter like jewels.

"Durpner," I hiss. "Leave my friends alone. Leave my sister alone." Ruby smirks.

"Your sister? What? She... I won't kill her. A family member of yours? But maybe I will, if I end up killing you. Hmm. Now, should I?" she asks, as if she was a cat playing with its food. I shake my head. "Oh, well. It's her or you. Frankly, she's the most pathetic vampire I've ever seen."

"Shut up," I yell. "Leave us alone! W-" The door creaks open, and another vampire walks in.

"Interrogating him? Torturing him?" she asks. "Ruby, sis-"

"Shut it."

The new vampire's gaze flicks over me. Her voice is jazzy.

"Yeah, yeah. I get it- he's all yours." she cocks her head. "What's his name? What's your name?"

I grimace. Is that important? Who is this? "Durpner. What's it to you?" I sneer.

She looks faintly amused. "Feisty, isn't he?"

"I'm right here," I spit. "And I'm not five years old."

"Yeah. His sister's all alone. He's worried. I would be too; she can't lay a finger on a fly. How's she gonna cope without a protector?" I flinch, hearing my exact thoughts. Pustyn will get killed in half a day without anyone. Hopefully Shadow protects her.

"Huh. Well, you're my sister, does that mean I like you?"

"Leave me alone," I snap. "Pustyn? Sure, she's weak, but the others will take care of her. You think you're smart," I glare at Ruby, "but against Shadow you wouldn't last a minute. Stefan's not the smartest, but he'll protect her. Athena is a bit too brave- but that will make her protect Pustyn no matter what. Dar-" I stop, realizing I just stated some of their weaknesses.

"Well, mister," Ruby traces her finger around my face threateningly, "You can't fight us, and I already did last a minute against your friend." I wish I could smack her in the head.

"They're not my friends," I say coldly. "They're just convenient- and Pustyn likes them. I can't leave her."

"Hmm..." the new vampire says doubtfully.

"Don't listen to him, Jaima. He doesn't know anything." The vampire, who must be Jaima, turns and leaves, her heels clicking on the stone floor. Ruby sighs and sits in another chair, in front of me. "Well. Durpner. What should I do... I know. I'll take your sister and kill her in front of you." I jerk my head up to look at her, and narrow my eyes. "Touch her and you'll never see the light of day again."

Ruby smirks. "I don't like the light of day," she snorts. "Do you?" The room is empty, except for the two chairs, a window, a desk, and a shiny mirror. She grabs the mirror, puts it on the windowsill, and turns it so that the sun is directed at me. I bite my lip so hard that it bleeds.

"Stop it! You-" I scream again, and she turns the mirror so that the sunlight burns harder. "Know-" I shriek. "What I meant!" Ruby shrugs and lets me sit there for a few minutes, before answering, "No, I don't. Why don't you tell me?" I open my mouth, and gasp. The sunlight suddenly gets stronger as she turns my head towards it.