Chapter Nine

Shadow

Dracoponian retrieves my knives from the river, and we set up a camp near the beach, using palm tree wood to make a lopsided shelter. It was hard to make, because everyone kept elbowing me, trying to place their piece of wood into position.

The next morning, Dracoponian is- surprisingly- the first one up. He somehow healed overnight, despite his heavy injuries.

"How do you think that happened?" I ask.

The group had no commentary on the question, so I leave it be. As we continue following our path, I brainstorm theories of why Dracoponian is so perfectly injure-less. Maybe someone in our group manifested as a Healor or a Ginko, and they don't know it yet! That would explain everything. I wonder if- a breathtaking view ahead cuts off my train of thought.

Huge mountains tower over us, sprawled over a landscape. It'll be a challenge to climb them, I realize bitterly. The beautiful mountains ahead are also known as the Protection Charm in the Elf Cities. The tallest mountain has an enchantment over it that makes sure that no one can leap straight to the elf cities, which is a pain, but I have to say, the mountains are pretty. Gorgeous rolling hills of green and crystal clear blue waters, colourful birds flying amidst some fat, lazy white clouds drifting through the blue sky, it seems like fairies will pop up and grant us wishes any second. Pretty unlikely, but possible.

"Athena and Stefan, you two will have to explain yourselves to the ESS. A human and a demon. Hmm... They'll probably register you guys as orphans, even though you aren't. But it's better than them knowing who your father is." ESS stands for Elf Security System. I look at Athena. I open my mouth to continue, but double over. Darkness crashes over me, slowly fading to beautiful shades of azure and amethyst. Just like at the hotel... My thoughts are cut off as I find myself in a closed room.

...

A male elf- no, the elf I saw in my dream- blinks rapidly at me. He's gagged, but it looks like he's trying to say something. A demon is standing next to him. The elf is struggling. The demon takes his gag off, and he immediately yells, "She's smarter than that! They all are! She'll know that this is-" I open my eyes.

...

"Shadow!" I feel dizzy, and I blink at a blurry figure with flaming hair as they shake me, hard. "You blacked out! Are you all right? Shadow?"

I sleepily look at the figure, scanning their blurry features and identifying them as Stefan.

"Arkera!" Vapor yells, snapping me out of my trance.

"Sorry. I'm all right." I mutter. I then continue to explain what happened to the group.

"Describe this elf to me, Shadow." Wittnor commands. I begrudgingly obey him, describing the mystery elf. "Did he have glasses? Blue ones?" Wittnor gasps as I nod. Then he whispers, "That elf is your brother, Shadow."

That would mean... I shut down the thought before my imagination can run free. "But how do you remember him?" I ask. I have questions. A lot of them.

"When we saw him, it triggered our memories of your brother." Wittnor answers, "And it happened recently." I look at him curiously. He sighs. "All we saw was him, struggling against several demons. They leaped him somewhere before we could help. He's... probably dead," I look down at the green, grassy ground.

"So he's gone," I whisper. "I just found out that I have a brother, but he's dead." For a second, I can tell my face is all shadows and angles. Suddenly, I feel hopeful, and I can feel my features soften. "Wait! If he sent me these visions, then he's alive!" I exclaim, throwing up my hands. Wittnor pauses.