Chapter Nineteen

Shadow

"How did you get here?" I ask. I notice that he doesn't have Xarxonzor with him. "How did you find us?" I hope I'm distracting him.

"No, you're not," he says. I flinch. Are my plans so bad that he can practically read my mind? "You're missing someone... That male elf. But you've gained people and power. It's too bad; it'll all end now," he says calmly.

"You think you can take us all on?" I spit. "Yeah, right!"

"Wait," Athena commands, her green eyes narrowing, "My father has a plan. There are surely others with him, waiting for us to strike." Her father nods, surprised.

"Well. You are correct. You surprise me with your knowledge, but don't think that I will show you mercy." About fifteen fully armed Hunters stalk out from behind sand dunes.

"I don't," Athena responds, not intimidated by the least. "Don't expect mercy from me, either." The leader of Hunters shrugs.

"Alright, then. Attack!" Come on! Why does everyone have to yell, 'Attack!' all the time? It's seriously unoriginal. Uh. I should be helping. I blast a Hunter with fire, and she dodges me. She stabs at me with her sword. I stop, as if surrendering, and she sneers. The Hunter lunges at me, but I jump out of the way and let out a roar, blasting fire. She howls, clutching herself, and another Hunter suddenly shoots at me with a gun. The bullet skims my leg, and I scream. I fly up in the air, out of shooting range, and try to drown him in fire. He holds up a shield, saving himself. I'll have to use lightning... Though I'm not very confident that I can.

I suck in a deep breath, which is hard considering I'm battling for my life, close my eyes, and look deep inside myself. I can sense a tiny, electric spark. I focus on it and try to mentally force it out. I hear thunder boom and open my eyes. The guard collapses, and I feel my strength. I blast another guard. Unfortunately, my power is so slow that they can easily sidestep out of the way if they're expecting an attack, and it's off-aim. I bite my lip, trying to think, and hear Dracoponian roaring and fly towards him, my leg aching. He's also in the air, but the Hunters have some kind of net-shooting pistol. Two Hunters, one shooting nets and one shooting bullets, are targeting him.

He blasts what I think is icesilver at them, but they dodge. Why are they all so fast- or are we just slow? I try to shoot fire, but they just hold up their shields. I know that they'll just dodge if I use my agonizingly slow lightning. There are several bullets in his wings, and he's barely flying. What can I do... I throw one of my daggers at the Hunter with bullets. It stabs him in the arm, and he runs away, howling. Stefan blasts him with water and he supposedly faints. I gasp as I see that the other Hunter has caught Dracoponian, who is on the ground and hardly breathing.

"Dracoponian!" I scream. He grunts, trying to speak, and blood pools out of his mouth. Chinglar suddenly leaps on the Hunter. She screeches as he claws her mercilessly. Just like he did with Wittnor. I'm about to rush over to Dracoponian and check on him, when a scream interrupts me.

Athena. I fly to her and see her fighting Kenneth. They're equally matched, both with the same weapon; a knife. Athena rolls out of his way.

"Wait! Don't help, Shadow. I'll take him on myself!" she yells. I'm about to argue, but I notice Pustyn in need of help.

"Here." I say, handing her my dagger quickly. She mutters a thanks and we attack four Hunters. The rest of them, except for Kenneth, surround us. Stefan, Echo and Chinglar crash into them. Echo summons a bow and arrow, climbs atop a sand dune, and starts shooting. Stefan blasts water out of his hands. Wait. Why didn't he just make water for us when we were thir-