Wednesday Part 2- Evaluations and Battling

"So, what exactly does a Pokémon Connoisseur do, Cilan?" Mallow asked as everyone sat on some chairs. "I know Lillie gave a definition before but I don't fully understand it. Maybe it's because we have any Pokémon Connoisseurs in the Alola region."

"Well, a Pokémon Connoisseur is a job that is solely unique to Unova," Cilan explained, sitting on a chair and facing the group. "We're not well-known in the other regions. As a Pokémon Connoisseur, the main responsibility I have is examining the current relationship between a trainer and their Pokémon before giving them advice on ways to strengthen their partnership."

"Like what?" Sophocles asked.

"Things like certain nutrients they should give their Pokémon," Cilan answered. "Or learning moves that would be beneficial to them in battles. I'm also allowed to give recommendations to beginner trainers who don't own any Pokémon. Do you all understand?"

Everyone thought quietly for a few minutes before nodding.

"So how do you do an evaluation?" Lillie asked.

"Allow me to show you all," Cilan smiled. "Ash, may I borrow Pikachu for a demonstration?"

Ash nodded as Pikachu jumped into Cilan's lap.

"The first thing we examine is the Pokémon's appearance," Cilan continued, stroking Pikachu. "Fur and skin conditions, cleanliness, even the way they smell can tell us how a trainer treats their Pokémon."

Everyone watched as Cilan carefully inspected Pikachu before lifting the electric mouse to his face. Pikachu squealed and giggled as Cilan buried his face into Pikachu's stomach before inhaling deeply.

"Hmm, Pikachu's fur looks and feels different," Cilan mused. "It's more golden yellow now and there's a strong aroma of seawater."

"That's probably because I'm living at the beach with Professor Kukui and Burnet," Ash explained. "And we do lots of training in the sun."

"I see," Cilan smiled. "Well, it's certainly favourable for Pikachu. His fur is beautiful and so soft. Has there been any changes to his diet?"

"Professor Burnet makes the Pokémon food," Ash answered.

"I'd love to discuss recipes with you later, Professor," Cilan smiled.

"Happy too," Burnet smiled. Cilan nodded before looking back at Ash.

"Anyway, I can see you're still taking good care of Pikachu, Ash."

"Thank you, Cilan," Ash smiled.

"Next, we discuss the Pokémon's moves and abilities," Cilan continued. "For example, I know that Ash's Pikachu can use Thunderbolt, Quick Attack, Iron Tail, Volt Tackle and Electroball."

"Cilan," Ash interrupted. "Pikachu can't use Volt Tackle anymore. And Electroball kind of evolved into Electroweb."

"I see," Cilan nodded. "Thank you, Ash. Anyway, if it was anyone else, I would encourage the trainer to help their Pokémon learn a defensive move. But because I know Ash's and Pikachu's relationship pretty well, I can happily conclude that Pikachu's offensive movesets is appropriate for their premium brand."

Cilan smiled as he put Pikachu on the ground.

"Thank you, Pikachu," Cilan smiled. "So, that is a general assessment from a Pokémon Connoisseur or Connaisseuse."