: 04 :

Calla couldn't remember the last time she had a good sleep

Calla couldn't remember the last time she had a good sleep. With the work she does and things she thinks about, there was never time for sleep. Rolling out of bed, she had noticed that she was not in her own bedroom, but instead, in Stefano's. And the only reason she came to that conclusion was because it smelled like him.

Sitting on the edge of the bed, all of the previous events attacked her thoughts. Calla could remember the guy's face, it was pale, cold, empty, exactly like her father's. To her, it felt like shooting her own father. The more she thought about it, she couldn't decide whether she should feel guilty or not. 

It was self-defence she told herself.

Noticing that there was a bathroom just across the room, she decided that it might be a good idea to splash some water onto her face. It'll probably wake her up and make her more alert to her surroundings.

Looking in the mirror, the reflection of herself made her feel strange. The girl in the looked like herself, but at the same time, she couldn't recognize the girl in the mirror at all. The girl in the mirror had dull eyes and under-eye circles darker than the devil's soul. The more Calla stared, the more her heart hurt. Tears start flooding her eyes, and then she felt like she couldn't breathe.

Calla was never a crier. She has always held a wall up, a strong-exterior to keep all her feelings in, but walls become weak and break down over time.

Heading to the door, she twisted the doorknob, and let her feet lead her to the kitchen. Or at least try to. Luckily, Stefano's room was near the stairs.

As Calla was heading down the stairs, Stefano heard her footsteps while he was in the living room. Getting up, he walked towards the stairs.

He looked up expecting to see a pair of brown eyes, but instead, a pair of red, teary eyes were looking at him. Eyes that looked so empty. It made his heart hurt.

Stefano was not supposed to feel this way. In this life, it was best to not be close to anyone, because then they would be a weakness. Leverage to use against you, and Stefano could not bear the loss of Calla. 

He couldn't go through this again.

Putting his walls up higher, he decided to speak.

"How are you feeling?" Stefano asked with absolutely no emotion.

"I mean, I just shot someone. How should I feel?"

Without knowing what to say next, Stefano decided to keep walking.

She knew something was bothering him, but didn't bother asking.

When they reached the kitchen, Calla took a seat at the table while Stefano got her a glass of water. As they both sat in silence, Stefano was the one to break the silence.

"We need to talk. What happened in my office should never happen again. I only helped and comforted you because I felt bad, and the need to pity you."

"Look, I don't need you to pity me, Mr. Valentino," Calla laughed, "Yesterday you gave me a gun for protection yesterday and I shot someone. Let's move on. Not to mention that you're probably part of the mafia, am I wrong?"

As Stefano started talking, he was quickly interrupted. And as if Calla knew what he was going to say, she said, "Mr. Valentino, it doesn't take a genius to put puzzle pieces together."

It wasn't long before silence fell upon them again. Stefano was baffled but didn't let his cold exterior fall. Sure, he was ruthless and cold-hearted, but this woman has done nothing but surprise him. He wasn't sure what to say. He didn't want to give her an option between life or death afraid that she would choose death. As they sat, observing each other, they were interrupted.

"What's up D- Boss!," Tyler then looked back and forth between Calla and Stefano, "What's up Calla?" No one said anything. "Uh, bad timing?"

Calla decided to speak up, "No. You can address him as Don, it doesn't really matter anymore."

"Mr. Bianchi, you told her?" Tyler responded shocked. I mean it wasn't an everyday occurrence for Stefano to tell someone, and it was more shocking to him that Calla isn't dead yet.

Mr. Bianchi huh?

"No, you dimwit. She figured it out herself."

"And she's not dead yet!? God damn."

Calla scoffed, "As if that's supposed to make me feel better. Look, I've read enough to know what goes on. You either kill me or I join you, and to be honest I don't want to be here any longer. If I could choose, I would choose my normal life and continue the life I have, but that's not possible. So I'll make a deal, not that I'm in any position to do so, but I'll become your lawyer. If you ever get into a problem that the cops on your payroll can't help you fix, I'll help you. That way, I still get to do what I want to do, and I'm technically 'joining' you."

Stefano thought that it was a brilliant idea, not only does Calla get to be somewhat close to him, he doesn't have to kill her. It was a win-win situation, a simple deal to keep her close to him, what was there to lose?

"Deal. If you cross me, you and the people you love are dead."

Funny, as if my loved ones are still alive.

yay! these chapters have been kinda short, but I'm having a writer's block and I haven't had any time to write

yay! these chapters have been kinda short, but I'm having a writer's block and I haven't had any time to write. I would rather put something out for you guys to read than nothing :)

-CC