: after :

When Stefano first said in his letter that they would see each other again, in another, in heaven maybe, or in hell, but wherever and no matter where they may end up, is that they would end up together

He was wrong and his statement, or what Calla took as a promise, is a lie. 

There is no afterlife together.

There is no reincarnation, at least not for them.

So when Calla woke up, hoping to see the love of her life, but instead saw nothing but brightness, she frowned.

This was not heaven, nor was it hell, but it also wasn't the in-between.

So she waited. 

And she sat there when her feet got tired.

Played with the hems of her dress, and then kicked her feet.

Walked back and forth, but she waited, for the man with grey-green eyes, raven-black hair, who was fearless and cold, but warm to her, and stole her heart without her knowing. 

He never came because there was one place destined for him when he died. 

Hell.

And so, he looked above, every single second, minute, and hour of every day, and his neck never got tired because he could never get tired of looking at her.

Though he wished he could see her with wings, her being up there was good enough, because he knew, she deserved everything up there, and nothing down here.

Hell was for him to rule, and everything above was hers, whether she ended up in heaven or in the in-between. 

He was still a king and she was still a queen, and the thrones were theirs to take.