: 01 :

The knock she heard on her door had caused her to lose her train of thought

"Come in."

"Hey Calla, I hope I'm not interrupting. Thought I would let you know that I'm leaving. Have a good night and see you tomorrow."

"See you tomorrow Maisie," she replied.

Glancing up at the clock, Calla realized that it was 7:53. She closed her laptop and starting packing up her case files. She had just gone through another twelve-hour shift at the law firm, and through those twelve hours, she never realized how tired she was.

Our parents tell us that if we worked hard in school, life after wouldn't be as difficult, but that's a lie. 

Life never actually gets easier.

Calla honestly thought the world was a joke, we all work for each other, and when we think we are benefiting ourselves, we are actually benefiting somebody else. It's funny how the world works. We work to pay someone else's cheque, and that someone else works to pay for another person's cheque, creating a chain reaction.

Locking up her office door, she started heading out to her car.

Her car wasn't super fancy or expensive. It was a simple 2008 Honda Civic that she paid for by herself after she got her driver's license at the age of sixteen.

When Calla was twelve, she had asked her parents if they could buy her a phone for her thirteenth birthday. It was all she ever wanted at that point. All her friends had them and it wasn't like she wanted the newest phone out there. Calla was fine with a flip phone, she just wanted a phone. Her parents said no, saying that it was her responsibility to earn her own money to get what she desired. Calla was upset, it wasn't like her parents didn't have money. Hell, they were rich. Her parents were never home, always on vacation, they never cared for her.  So on that day, she made herself a promise, that she would never ask or rely on anyone, whether it had to do with money or school.

Twisting her keys, trying to start the car, she had realized that her car was dead. Her engine was dead.

It wouldn't turn on no matter how many times she tried.

She desperately wanted to go home. She could always call a taxi, but she couldn't pass up walking under the night sky. Calla loved the nighttime, she found it beautiful and calming. She pulled out her earbuds to listen to some music. She found that when she listened to music, time went by faster.

Halfway through her walk, she thought she heard something so she decided to lower down her volume in order for her to stay more alert.

"PLEASE STOP! I SWEAR, I'LL PAY YOU BACK. J-just give me two more weeks. I'll get the money to you, I promise. Please..." a scruffy voice had screamed.

Being curious was one of her characteristics, and sometimes, it was her downfall.

She had decided to follow where the noise had been coming from.

This could be really stupid or just nothing at all.

The screaming led her to this dark alleyway that she recognized from her previous walks.

She had noticed a couple of buff guys around this man that was begging for his life. She wasn't sure what she expected to find when she followed the noise, but she had seen these types of scenes in movies, and she was supposed to walk away.

But she didn't. What was the point of being afraid? 

She could die by interfering with their business, but she didn't really care. Death was something that she welcomed at any time, and if she could save that man's life by walking in on them, then so be it.

Before walking further in, she unzipped her bag, took out her cheque book, and a pen.

She coughed trying to get their attention, and once they had noticed her, they all took out their guns.

"W-Woah, I'm not here to do anything that is going to harm you in any way, as if I could, but I'd like to pay for whatever that man owes you," pointing to the man who now looks like as if they've seen a ghost.

The man on the ground was in a horrible condition. His eyes were red, while his pupils were dilated. The hair was messy and his clothes looked like they had been dragged on the ground multiple times. 

The guy with the leather jacket was the first to speak, "Piccola, why would you want to do that? Do you know him?"

"I've never seen him in my life. But I would love to get home soon, so why don't we stop the questions, and you tell me how much that man owes you. I'll pay his debt and you let him go."

The guy in the leather jacket was for sure stunned, this girl who was no taller than 5'5 was standing with her head held high in front of men that could snap her neck in a heartbeat. He had hoped maybe if he put out a higher number than what the guy owed, this girl would give up.

"115k."

The guy in the leather jacket was waiting for any expression to appear on the girl's face, but there was nothing. The girl had a complete poker face.

Calla wasn't surprised, it wasn't the first time she had to write a cheque this big. 

She quickly scribbled her information and the amount of money down, then she handed it to the leather jacket guy. Without waiting for a response, she walked towards the man who was still on the ground. Calla had been around a druggie all her life, she could see one a mile away.

"Nice to meet you, my name's Calla. I want you to go home and take a shower. Rethink what had just happened a couple of minutes ago. Next time, you won't be as lucky. I encourage you to get help. If you want to get better, sign yourself up for rehab, and if you can't do it yourself, here's my business card. Give me a call, and I'll set you up at a rehab centre."

Turning on her heel, Calla started walking away.

"Wait! Why are you helping me?" the man had asked.

Calla replied, "Because you remind me of my father, and I'm giving you an opportunity to save yourself, it's up to you whether you're going to take it or not."

I rewrote this chapter 3 times so I hope this is alright

I rewrote this chapter 3 times so I hope this is alright. I don't have an uploading schedule because this year I decided to take 3 subjects that are a year above my grade level and it is kicking my ass so I'm not sure when I'll be able to update. I hope everyone is doing fine and are well! Thanks for reading :)

-CC