Kyla glanced at Masis as he hesitated to respond. "No... no, he would require proof."

"My point exactly," said Master Elwith. "I would prefer to present them with proof that will not only assure them of the benefit you'll provide to Haimlant but her allies as well."

Allies? wondered Kyla, eyes raking up and down his back. What allies?

"Don't you think revealing the reemergence of the Warden and myself to everyone and their horse a bit premature?"

"Quite the contrary, Lady Kyla," said Master Elwith, his words batting away any sarcasm still hanging in the air. "This news will only solidify our position and help rally support for the final push to eradicate all the feral night wights."

There's that word again, thought Kyla, tallying its use.

"I still think we should wait..."

"We're here," said Master Elwith, cutting Kyla off.

The tunnel had come to a dead-end, drawing them all to a stop. A wall with a spiral of lines weaving over and under each other stood before them. Raising his hand to lay it against the smooth center, Master Elwith paused, hand hesitating then drawing back as he turned to face them.

"Lady Kyla." He pressed his palms together. "You haven't mingled in polite society for some centuries now. It might be wise to keep your comments a bit guarded. It wouldn't do for you to insult any of the guests and unsettle our newly formed treaty."

Again, that dark ulcer in his lifelight floated into her mindeye's view.

What's that supposed to mean? Kyla fumed, teeth clenched, eyes unblinking. She had paid attention over the years. She was not so out of practice as to make a fool of herself. Besides, when in doubt simply keep silent. I can do that.

Master Elwith turned back to the wall without another word. Pressing his hand to the center of the design, lifelight flaring, the wall dissolved, melting into the walls, ceiling, and floor. He stepped through the newly formed doorway, inviting Masis and Kyla through with a gesture. The stone flowed back into place behind them without so much as a grumble or grate. The High Mage set out again at a brisk pace, not waiting to see if they followed. Even if he somehow did manage to abandon them in the now much more spacious corridors, the strong scent of bath oils would lead Kyla right to him. She let Master Elwith take the lead, allowing a few paces to open between them. While the distance widened between the mage and herself, Kyla drew closer to Masis.

"What do you make of the situation?" whispered Kyla.

Masis kept his face ever forward but spoke out of the corner of his mouth. "Are you actually asking me what I think? Didn't you tell me that I was just a sapling that would break in the winds of adversity because of my lack of experience?"

During his training she had called him many things, especially when he made a mistake or said something stupid—initially he had a tendency to do both often. That particular insult was one of her more poetic lambastings. She parried his question with pregnant silence, often the most effective rebuttal.

"It feels... wrong," said Masis, the silence drawing out his words. "The way Master Elwith keeps talking about feral night wights and the treaty. I only met the man a handful of times and only ever for official events, but he seemed, I don't know, more stern, unyielding. By comparison, this is a man bewitched." His eyes shifted over to her for an instant. "And it sounds like the treaty has already been signed. What do you make of it all?"

Kyla offered no reply. Masis' tread filled the air, his boots sounding out their pace.

"If the treaty has been signed," said Kyla, her volume falling even further to a point only a Warden could hear, "that means it has the support of both the sovereigns, not just Master Elwith. He couldn't have made it happen alone. At least, in the past the High Mage wouldn't have been able to. He was right about one thing: things have changed in the last four hundred years. I had best be on my guard. We had both best be on our guard."