Interview With Carter

Water trickles in a gentle melody down the stones creating a sense of peace in the room. Beyond the wall of windows, the skyline of D.C. can be seen, sunset setting the tops of the buildings on fire. I settle back in my leather chair, smiling.

"Thanks for doing this interview, Carter," I say.

Carter sits with her arms crossed in a chair opposite me.

"It's not like I had a choice," she says.

"Of course you did."

She gives me a look that says I am a complete idiot. I fidget under the strength of her gaze.

"You did, you always do," I say. "You know that."

Carter shakes her head like she can't believe what she's hearing.

"No, I don't. You created me, you dictate my every move."

I hold up a hand, trying to calm her. "That is not true. We both know that there are times when you've completely disregarded what I had planned and did your own thing."

Leaning back in her chair, Carter scoffs.

"Please, you've controlled every aspect of me from the beginning." Her eyes are sharp as they take me in. A gleam enters the deep blue as a thought has come to her. "Why do you think you feel the need to control everything?"

"Nope," I say, shaking my head. "We are not discussing me. This interview is about you."

"Interesting, you're deflecting. Another control tactic. It seems you try to control a lot of things in your life. Isn't that why you became a writer?"

Frustrated, I sit up straighter. "I became a writer because I like writing."

Carter steeples her fingers, eyeing me like I'm a puzzle with a few missing pieces.

"No, you became a writer because you got to create worlds. Worlds that you could control, rule over."

"This is not about me."

The corner of Carter's mouth curls. "Isn't it though? Isn't that why you brought me in here. You wanted someone who would say what no one else would."

I bury my face in my hands and growl in annoyance. Raising my head, I stare at her. Her face is a mask of calm, a cat before it snatches the canary.

"Carter, I asked you here cause I wanted to do an interview with you, not dive into my past to figure out what is wrong with me."

Eager, Carter leans forward on her knees.

"So you admit that there is something in your past that is defining who you are now and something that has defined you as 'wrong'."

I jump up. "No! That's not what I said at all! I asked you here cause people like you," I toss my hands up. "God only knows why cause you're a complete pain sometimes, but they do and so I thought it would be fun to do an interview with you to get to know you better, that's all! Now back off!"

Suddenly drained, I flop back into the chair. Carter's nods with a small smile tucked away.

"Feel good to release some of that anger?" she asks.

"Oh my gosh," I say, hiding my face in my hands. "Where is Donovan when you need him? He can get you to shut up."

A knock comes from the door and I look up. "Yeah?"

Donovan enters and rests a hand on the back of Carter's chair.

"Great!" I say, waving my hands towards his girlfriend. "Can you please explain to her that I wanted to do an interview so people could get to know somethings about her and not so she could pick apart my life."

Carter glances up and Donovan meets her gaze, they both look at me. I shrink back into the seat, pointing between them.

"No, you just did that thing where you have a silent conversation, didn't you?" I say, fearing what  I know is true.

Donovan cocks his head at me, his face serene as ever.

"Joy," he says, "I think you have to look at the facts. You invited Carter, a girl you knew would rather find the edge of the world than give away her personal secrets and asked her to do an interview. This does seem like you brought her here to talk about you more than talk about her."

I bolt up and jab a finger at the door.

"You both suck, get out."

Calm as if nothing strange has happened, they both walk to the door. After Carter slips out, Donovan goes to follow, but pauses, holding the door.

"You might want to deal with your past-"

"Donovan shut up or I'll kill off Carter in the future."

Without another word, he leaves. I sink back into the chair and stare up at the ceiling.

"This never would have happened if I had interviewed Link."

**********************************************************************

Hey hey!

So yeah I've completely lost my mind! I don't know what that was but I hope you found it hilarious. If you ever wondered how an interview with Carter would go you just found out.

Honestly, I've impressed she even decided to show up in the first place. I expected a shot to the head from long range before she'd agree to an interview but it was probably all a ploy to tear my life apart.

Oh my gosh! 🙈 I really am crazy!

Any thoughts of whatever this was?

Vote, comment, follow cause who doesn't want to support a clearly delusional and bonkers writer! 😁