11 | A priceless token

Start from the beginning

Ginny blinked. Sweet Merlin. She'd forgotten about the glamour. He was here with Hannah. Of course he was. She fought the soft laugh that wanted to escape. God, she was acting like such a novice.

A moment later, Luna came up behind him, followed by Rolf. They exchanged greetings, smiling and laughing, and Ginny felt an overwhelm pressure in her chest, but she pushed it aside and turned just in time to see Hermione walking through the crowd alone, heading straight for her area. People stopped and watched her, whispering and pointing, but she didn't pay them any attention. She stopped next to Ginny.

What were the chances? Ginny couldn't help but wonder. It was a good thing she wasn't planning on stealing the damn thing tonight. She shook her head, peeking at the brunette. Her newest sister-in-law. She'd missed the wedding, and as terrible as she felt about that, it was for the best. There'd been a time in her life where Hermione was the closest thing she had to a sister.

But that was then and this was now. Ginny didn't need a thing like family. She had Neville and Luna, her made-family, and she had her work. That was all she needed.

Ginny turned slightly away from Hermione but the other woman had other plans.

"This is such a great spot. I've been dying to get a glimpse of the President," she said, smiling. She looked at Ginny. "My husband has been teasing me nonstop."

Don't respond! Ignore her! She told herself, but she didn't want to draw more attention to herself. A short, mundane conversation would be a small blip in Hermione's mind. Being rude would be something she'd remember. So, instead she said, "The President is an important man."

"Yes," Hermione said. "What do you think it'll be?"

Ginny's gaze followed hers to the pedestal. "You don't know?" That surprised her. If anyone in the Ministry knew, it had to be Hermione, didn't it?

Hermione shot her a look. "Do you?" When Ginny shook her head, she added, "Why would I?"

Bloody hell. She cleared her throat. "I just heard Harry Potter was part of the detail. I thought he might've told you since he's your best friend." She sighed and shook her head. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean anything by that."

Hermione's dark eyebrows rose. "You know who I am?"

Ginny chuckled. "Everyone knows who you are. Hermione Granger."

"Granger-Weasley now," she said and shook her head. She brushed a lock of hair behind her ear. "No, I'm sorry. I forget myself sometimes."

"It's alright," Ginny said, turning back to the pedestal. Best to cut that conversation short before things got-

"And you are?" Hermione asked.

The groan was on the tip of Ginny's tongue. This was veering into dangerous territory. She shouldn't be chitchatting with Hermione of all people. Dammit.

"Nadia Hydan," she said. One the names she used when sporting this glamour. Nadia worked in the owl room at the Daily Prophet for the past three years. A hard and dedicated worker, who took care of the owls and helped distributed the packages outgoing and incoming. Maybe if she was lucky, this month she'd get a raise.

Hermione smiled and shook her hand. "It's nice to meet you, Nadia."

"Likewise," Ginny said. All the lies were heavy on the her tongue but she brushed it aside as a commotion started on the other side of the atrium and Potter, Ron, and another man stepped forward.