Chapter.23-Calm Before The Storm

This is unedited.

    I have been using 'effectiveness' in my description of abilities and I realize that it can be somewhat confusing. I will change it to Casting Effectiveness and Attacking Effectiveness. The Casting Effectiveness % scores only apply to spells, abilities, and some magic items that can't deal damage themselves(think sleep, fury, and disguise self). If the effectiveness is to be applied to attacks(think fireball, sword strikes, and shot arrows), it will be called Attacking Effectiveness. An example of Casting and Attacking Effectiveness is [Smoldering Domain] and [Wolf's Valor]. [Smoldering Domain] increases Casting effectiveness by o100% when near smoke. [Wolf's Valor] increases Attacking Effectiveness by 20%.

I use [Smoke Emulation] as a crutch so I can walk around the city. As I am walking my first stop, I get a familiar notification.

    {Ding! Ability: [Gambler] is ready to be used.}

    {Ding! Item Obtained: [Captain Blackbeard's Wick(Miscellaneous item)]: The eversmoking wick of the legendary Captain Blackbeard. Quite a few times, while smoking, he would drop embers and set off cannons and muskets on accident. In an attempt to quit smoking, Blackbeard enchanted a wick on both sides. One side is set to smolder forever, always emitting smoke but never catching fire. The other end of the wick was enchanted to always generate a drop of [Potion of True Heroism]. Worried that he may lose the wick and revert back to smoking, he also laid the [Curse of Binding] on the wick.

    Outside Tip Effect: Constantly emits smoke.

Inside Tip Effect: Constantly generates a drop of [Potion of True Heroism] every half-hour.

Additional Effect: Whenever this item is used, it binds to the owner and can not forcibly be removed.}

I pull it up to my eyes for a closer look. One side is dyed a dark grey color and the other is dyed a red color. It kinda reminds me of those toothpicks people hold in their mouths. I asked the doctor in charge of me about it one time, and he said that ex-smokers did that sometimes after they quit smoking. I never really got smoking. Isn't it bad for your lungs? Doesn't it smell terrible? Doesn't it cause long term health issues? It always seemed like a terrible idea to me, but to each their own I guess.

The wick is a miscellaneous item, meaning that it is not judged by the normal item standards. Miscellaneous items are usually things like traps, items not typically used in combat, and items that players aren't supposed to obtain. The wick should fit into that last category since it has the [Curse of Binding] on it.

This item has three effects on it! The first one looks like it is there for cosmetic purposes, but I might be able to use it to my advantage if it triggers [Smoldering Domain]. The second one is awesome! The [Potion of True Heroism] is an extremely rare red potion that doubles the amount of available HP for the duration, which is usually an hour.. With the second effect olone, this item is priceless! The third effect is a curse. This was most likely designed so that the players wouldn't get their hands on this.

     So now one question remains, do I use it or sell it? I think the answer is pretty obvious... I will use it! Why would I sell this OP item that could save my life?

    I stick the red side into my mouth and feel a small amount of liquid exit it. It is thankfully tasteless, unlike normal potions. The other side emits smoke like a large candle. I reach up and pull the wick out of my mouth; it comes out easily. So I can still remove it willingly? I decide to do some more tests and find that if it leaves my body, it will reappear in my mouth. There is one exception to this rule. If it is in my inventory, it will not teleport back to me. I also found out that if I have on my mask and have the wick in my mouth at the same time, the wick will become bigger so that it can come out of the side of the snout. Oh, and with the wick in my mouth, I now have a total of 410 health because of the [Potion of True Heroism]!